I need some help from the computer experts!
Oct 5, 2005 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mega

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Im getting a new video card soon (ATI Radeon X800 GTO2) and uponn recieving it, i would like to flash the BIOS because of the great overclocking/modding that is possible with this card. I need a floppy disk to boot into MS-DOS, but the problem is, my computer doesn't have a floppy drive. Id like to make a bootable CD-Rom instead and run MS-DOS, but i have no idea how. Anyone know how i can flash my video card's BIOS with a CD-Rom?

Thanks.

Oct 5, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 17
when your computer is booting up you can press F8 (before the Windows screens come up) then select "command prompt" from the options. Easy enough to do.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 17
best places to ask are guru3d and neowin. i could kind of explain how to do it, but i only know how in theory, i've never had to do it myself. the guys there will be able to tell you everything you need to know (and probably more)

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Just burn the files needed to a CD, change boot device to your CD ROM and run the .exe file off the CD

You need to have a bootable floppy disk that the CD burning software can use to make the boot image for the CD (and the boot floppy also needs CD-ROM support in order to read the files on the CD).

Oct 7, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You need to have a bootable floppy disk that the CD burning software can use to make the boot image for the CD (and the boot floppy also needs CD-ROM support in order to read the files on the CD).

Win start up disk should suffice... (If you still have one from pre XP days
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 8, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 17
Hey guys..

Well, i just got the card, and i can't even get to windows after installing the card.

After the install, it goes to a black screen and says to enable the correct boot device, then to restart the computer..everytime i restart or re-install the video card, it displays this message.

Any suggestions?

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Hey guys..

Well, i just got the card, and i can't even get to windows after installing the card.

After the install, it goes to a black screen and says to enable the correct boot device, then to restart the computer..everytime i restart or re-install the video card, it displays this message.

Any suggestions?

Go into the motherboard's BIOS and find out what the AGP apeture is. It should be half of the Video card's memory capacity.

Which motherboard are you using? Does it have on board Video, if so, disable it.

Also, be sure to remove all other cards except for the video card to do a minimal boot up, so that you can make sure it's not something else conflicting with the video card.

-Ed

Oct 8, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 17
Hey Ed,

I don't have that option as i don't have an AGP card..my motherboard only takes PCI-E video cards-which is what the X800 GTO2 is.

The chipset of my motherboard is the intel 915P..My motherboard is an ASUS PTGD-LA motherboardon an HP media center PC. The card that it came with was the Radeon X300 SE, so i don't think i have onboard video..

I took the other cards out of their slots, and i still get the same result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back