I Need Some Help For Closed-Back Upgrade...
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gibsonsg87

Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I'm sort of new here but I've been racking my brain on where to go next in new closed headphone choice. I love my Beyer DT770 Pro 250, but I want something with more separation, a removable cable, and less spiky highs. I'm looking to spend up to $900-950.

Sound preference: Clarity, with some extra bass slam, smooth highs, and clear mids. (Not too neutral)

I was thinking about the Meze 99 Gold, but I heard that they can be tight. I have a bigger than average head, so that's a major concern in terms of comfort.

Some other choices I had in mind were:
  1. Mrspeakers Aeon Flow closed
  2. Mrspeakers Ether C closed
  3. Audeze LCD-XC
  4. ZMF Blackwood
  5. ZMF Atticus
  6. ZMF Eikon
  7. Audioquest Nightowl
  8. Beyerdynamic T5 2nd Gen.
Can anyone help? Does anybody have anything that's not on that list that I have missed?

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Meze 99 classics used to have smaller, thinner earpads which made them uncomfortable for some people. By all accounts, they upgraded the pads a year or 2 back. When I demoed it, it didn't strike me as particularly high clamp.

AFC has leaner sound... hard to say if it's "too neutral" for you though. AFO's are actually warmer and despite being open-backs, sound more like closed HPs (But I still wouldn't use them on a train/bus). Both need an amp... very "meh" if straight out of a phone.

Are you OK with getting used? New Ether C, LCD-XC, Blackwood, Eikon, Atticus are all above your stated budget.

Have you looked at Campfire Audio Cascade? I've not yet demoed it, but the reports look pretty appealing.

If you can, it's best to go to an audio store to demo before you buy.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm not sure if there are any stores where I can demo headphones where I live. I'll search again on google. I know Best Buy is not the place to go. Do you have any recommendations for stores to try out headphones? I can't think of any in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area.

I have looked at the new Campfire Cascade. I'm intrigued and it does tick most of the boxes of what I want out of a headphone.

Yes, I'm OK with used. I'm definitely aware that all of those headphones run well above the $1000 mark when bought new.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm not sure if there are any stores where I can demo headphones where I live. I'll search again on google. I know Best Buy is not the place to go. Do you have any recommendations for stores to try out headphones? I can't think of any in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area.

Unfortunately I don't know of any specific stores in NA... unless you come to Sydney, Australia :sunglasses:

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Whoops! I didn’t look at your location on your profile. You definitely wouldn’t know (or care) about North American locations. Lol.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 6
MrSpeakers Ether C Flow / Aeon Flow Closed
ZMF Eikon / Atticus
Audeze LCD-XC
Sony Z7 / Z1R
Beyerdynamic DT1770 / T1 / T5p
Fostex TH-900 / TH-610 / TH-X00
Audioquest Nightowl
Pioneer SE‑Monitor5
AKG K872
Shure 1540
Oppo PM3 (portable)