I need some help choosing an AMP/DAC for my HD800S + HD650 (balanced)
Sep 16, 2017 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elucidate

New Head-Fier
  • Budget - 1300 Canadian (FIRM)
Basically I'm down to the wire. The first one is a used HDVD800 (near mint condition) - that's listed for $1300. The second solution is the jotunhiem/bifrost multibit stack which comes to about $1200 before shipping costs. Is one inherently superior?

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Can I ask, how you came up with these options? Have you heard these?

The Sennheiser all-in-one is quite dark sounding, while the Jot is very engaging - almost steely or bright. Similarly the HD650 headphones you are planning to use are considered dark by many, while the HD800S is still slightly bright. Your suggested bright source, when paired with the bright headphone would not be neutral, but bright-sounding. Your darker suggested source with the darker headphone would also be quite far from neutral. And, BTW, I've owned everything you suggest - except the HDVD800, which I've heard, and could understand its purpose for the HD800.

My suggestion would be something neutral, as a source, particularly because your headphones are aimed at opposite ends of the sound spectrum. You could even keep the Bifrost Multibit, but select another amplifier, better suited to both the HD800S and HD650. The cheaper Asgard does a better job at this, or the Valhalla that works well with both high impedance headphones. The Jot, in my opinion, ventures too far into the lively category to go well with the HD800S.

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 7
I see where I'm confused - you must have a balanced amplifier output?
I would still suggest a different amplifier from the Jot or Sennheiser, if you must also use both HD650 and HD800S.

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 7
I currently own the Jot and the 650 balanced, and am borrowing a pair of HD800 (not the S model). I don't understand why people say the 800 is fatiguing or boring. Even running through my Jotunheim, which is considered bright, the 800 sounds like a cross between the LCD2 and HD700. It has absolutely zero harshness in the treble to me, and is still punchy yet neutral. I feel like a crazy person saying this but I really don't think the Jot + 800 is a BAD pairing. There may be other options that sound better, but I have no problem with the combo. The Jot is also a very good pick because of its versatility. As for your 650, they will sound much better from a bright amp IMO. I don't think they sound veiled unless you're AB'ing them with a bright can. The Jot and the balanced cable help quite a bit with channel separation and top end clarity from my experience

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 7
I have both 650 and 800s, also a amp hdvd800. If u are looking for hdvd800 u may try hdva60 first. There different is dac section (pcm1792a vs none).
Pcm1792a is a well specs dac. It is more clarity than dual cs4398 in ak120ii but overall tonal of ak120ii is richer (in a fast compare may not found but hours of listening test does).
650 and 800s sounds differently by themself , one dark side with stronger bass, one bright side with more detail and much larger sound field. Imo, Sen's amp drive them well

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back