I need some help choosing a set of headphones
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jarzombek56

New Head-Fier
The headphones I have been looking at are Sennheiser HD 598. My budget tops out at about $250. I listen to all genres except for classical, and the music I will be listening to will be out of an iPhone. The adapter on the 598s is kind of sketchy to me since it makes the jack massive and bulky. I will be listening to the headphones in my room so the whole open/closed thing isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm looking for a headphone that can deliver bass, but doesn't mud the sound like Beats tend to do, has very good trebles as well. I'm not by any means an audiophile, but music is a very substantial part of my life. Again, since I will almost exclusively be listening to these in my room, looks of the headphones aren't a big deal at all. Any advice that can be given will be appreciated, thanks!

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 6
Good option, I wouldn't hold anything against the HD598. For more information you can check the frequency response to give you a general idea about how they'll sound.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Senn HD598 are on the high side right now, sometime around Sept. Oct. Nov. they could be as much as $60 cheaper.
Save a few dollars, get some Samson SR850 and add Velour ear pads, total should be under $100.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 6
You can try to get the denon d2000 at J&R or ElectronicsExpo for around 200.  It is comparable or a little better than the hd598.  Plus it comes 3.5mm standard headphone jack and you don't have to use the heavy bulky adapter like on the hd598.   Also, if there are noises around you, then the denon will give even better sound because it blocks out most of the noises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back