I need some good, cheap headphones, fast! :D
Dec 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Minty Taco

New Head-Fier
Sup Head-Fi,

I have never spent more than $2 on ear-buds in my life. I had a pair of $10 headphones, but that was the most I have spent on any type of audio equipment in my life. (I go by the name cheap, Cheap ass that is
cool.gif
) Anyways, I'm finally taking the big leap from dollarama to some other Hi-Quality brand. I have $80 to spend, and I can go up to $100. I listened to some Beats by Dre, and thought they were good, until my friend showed me sennheisers, andthey made the Dre's look like dollarama toys
beyersmile.png
. Only problem is I don't have $300 to spend on headphones, or else I'd buy them myself.

So here's my straight-forward, not misleading question:
I need some good headphones, they need to be $80-$100 MAX.
I was looking at ES7s from audio technica, but they're discontinued, and the only place I found em were for 129 euro.
I don't mind if they sound LIKE dre's, just not worse now that I listened to senhessiers. Also looks is  a big factor. I like sleek glossy looks (ES7s were a BIG factor for me, they look smexi :O )

Also, I listen to hip-hop/rap, so bass would be optimal, altough I don't want the amount that beats give; When I blasted my music with my friends beats they were literally shaking because of the bass over-kill.

Thanks,
Minty Taco

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 6
Not too much bass eh? Pioneer HDJ500 might cut it. Rolled off sub bass and somewhat mid bass happy. Responsive to EQ to a nice extent though. Otherwise a very nice piece with sharp looks. $80-100 depending on where. Durability is a YMMV though. I've tossed mine into a cramped bag almost everyday for 4 months now, and they're still in one piece. Plenty of other alternatives out there, as others will chime in.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Creative Aurvana Live for $60 currently on Amazon. They look VERY nice. I owned them and the ES7 at the same time. The CAL has a similar piano black finish on the cups, and are an 11 in comfort while the ES7 was a 5 at the most. They're stellar for the price. They have plenty of bass. :)

The CAL is literally a Denon D1001 with a slight improvement and different brand.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 6
I found these to have more bass than the Beats Studio I had heard before. I do not suggest these without equalizing the bass down, and I still think there are better options even then -- there is a reason they "respond well to equalization" and that is because they have the most bass heavy sound signature I've ever heard that completely overpowers the music. 

Quote:
sony xb700 or xb500
you cant go wrong with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back