I need some advice please.....RSA Hornet, Darth up my Beyers, or some CDs?
Dec 24, 2006 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sant430

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sure we get this thread at least during xmas, and I'm sure during other holidays and not to mention birthdays too so here we go.........

I got a decent little $$$$ gift from my mom and sister and need some help regarding where I should invest this little sum.

I've got $450 and I'm wondering where I should go with it. After reading all the 'Tomahawk' posts, I thought of getting an RSA Hornet for my headphone (and headphone amp) collection. I also thought of sending my 770/80s to Larry to have them Darth'd up too. And then I also thought it would just rock to get a buttload of cd's to enhance my collection.

Here's my dilemma.

I already have an Earmax Pro, a SuperMAcro IIIv6 with a SuperMAcro IV coming too (no shipping email, so I'm thinking I'll get it in January), so the logical side of me thinks there's really no reason to invest in ANOTHER amp. However, I've owned cmoys, mints, pimetas, porta cordas, Xins, and now an EMP, but I've NEVER owned anything from Ray. I keep hearing PHENOMENAL reviews about his customer service and amps, so I thought this would be a great time to get a Red Hornet. I just don't know if getting the Hornet is so good that it justifies me getting another amp.

I also thought of getting my Beyer 770s redone by Larry, but I don't know how big of an impact I'm going to get after getting them back. Do you Darth Beyer owners think the transition is significant enough?? I like what Larry's done with my 580s, HF-1s, and 225s BTW.

And then I can ALWAYS buy CDs. I'm always about supplementing my cd collection and this really would be a great way to get some old stuff I don't have as well as some new tunes too.

So here's where I am, and I need some ideas.

What would you guys do??

Dec 24, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 9
hello fellow T-Boarder!

if i had your gear and that much scratch to spend, i personally would go on a musical binge! hit up record shops and used record shops, you can easily walk out w/ a ton of music after that!

again, that's what i would do in your situation. oh the darths would come second
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 9
You can't go wrong with T-Board baby!!
biggrin.gif

I also thought a cd binge would kick ass. I even thought of heading up north to Denver for this. Getting a hotel for the night before (or after, or both) and head up Twist & Shout. It's a HUUUUUGE audio/music store about an hour north of us. I could spend a good day in there easy! So a day of cd purchases would really be cool.

The part of wondering how wicked having some Darth Beyers would be, or..... just wondering if an RSA Hornet is as sweet as everyone says is what has me still considering my options.......

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 9
So I'm at one for cd's and one for the Dark Side......

one of the final things that got me thinking of a Hornet was Jude's Tomahawk/Nano thread. I can't believe how sleek that looks.....not to mention how everyone raves about Ray Samuels Audio.

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 9
1 more vote for cds. I would rather spend the extra money to get a ton more more music than a slight improvement in the sound quality.

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 more vote for cds. I would rather spend the extra money to get a ton more more music than a slight improvement in the sound quality.

I'm thinking of shying away from the Beyer route. I've estimated about $600 in terms of what I'm going to want Larry to do with my 770s, and this is without any consultation from Xanadu. So, I think I'm going to wait until income tax for the full Darth Beyer Plunge!!
biggrin.gif

So I'm thinking of a couple cds or the Hornet now.....I'm tellin' you. It's still pretty hard to decide. I appreciate everyone's input so far. keep 'em comin!!

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 9
So I just wanted to say I appreciated the posts and advice. I ended up ordering a BUTTLOAD of new music from world to prog to neo-classical to trip hop to you name it.......

Thanks again everyone

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also thought of getting my Beyer 770s redone by Larry, but I don't know how big of an impact I'm going to get after getting them back. Do you Darth Beyer owners think the transition is significant enough?? I like what Larry's done with my 580s, HF-1s, and 225s BTW.

Well, i'm not sure what you should do, but I can comment on the above quote.
I have a DT770pro 250ohm and Larrys DT770pro 80ohm which he made a padauk darth V2 closed. It brought the beyers up to a whole new level! It's almost a totally different headphone! The soundstage is much better, the bass........ haha, the bass..............
(((
basshead.gif
)))
After using the Darth's for a good while, going back to the DT770pro just sound dull, lifeless, and a little on the anemic side. That's how much of a difference there is.
The wood work is great, and they feel better on my head then the stock ones (weight distribution).

I highly recommend them! Best closed can i've heard for the price (no comparison to the stock DT770pro 250ohm). I had larry mod a brand new DT770pro and decided to keep my old ones just incase I wouldn't like the Darth's. Well, I liked the darths so much, my DT770pro's are now used only when I go home for weekends back at my parents.
Maybe keep your beyers and just order a brand new darth beyer?

If you do go ahead with getting them though, I recommend getting nothing less than the 1.5m cable. I have that, and wish I had got the 2m cable at times.

So, again, I'm not sure what you should do, but I know what I would do (wink wink)

Edit: Opps, didn't read the last post. Well, hope you enjoy your new music! This'll give you something to look forward to in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back