I Need Some Advice For Selling Headphones
Sep 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Koukol

1000+ Head-Fier
Like most here (I assume) I've collected a few too many headphones looking for that right bowl of porridge.
I now have a couple that I would like to sell but I know nothing of selling online since I've yet to do it.

My first question would be...how do I protect myself from scams?
I noticed it says NOT to use Paypal here but I thought that would be my first line of defense since it has a dispute center.

I thought I'd first put them up here, since there's a wonderful community here, then try E-Bay if they don't sell.

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 20
Look whether your buyer has positive trader feedback on this site. You can see that on the profile of each Head-fier. Anyone with positive trader feedback is likely to be trustworthy.

I do not have PayPal myself, but I have traded successfully with 3 people on this site. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 20
Paypal as a payment method is absolutely fine, just don't send money as a 'gift' (which is exactly what head-fi warns you about in the buy/sell/trade subsection).

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 20
Regardless of how you pay, somebody has to take a leap of faith. It's customary that the buyer pays up front, and that the seller ships as soon as the money has been received. The reason why Paypal (no gift) is popular, is that you can always file a complaint with Paypal if something goes wrong (e.g. seller doesn't ship, damaged goods and the seller doesn't want to refund you, ...). They will cover the costs and probably try to reclaim them from the buyer.

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 20
So how does everyone know what to charge for shipping?
I just got back from the Post office to get some quotes for North America and they needed specific zip codes/postal codes to give any quotes.

Also, do I need to worry about Insurance or is this more for selling on E-Bay because of the scammers?

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 20
So as a personal experience I just sold a pair of IEM's through the classified's here. First thing I will note is that it's pretty easy to tell who is genuine and who is not. If your selling, I recommend Paypal. I did this with my sale. Originally I was only selling in the US. But the buyer asked if I would mind the extra hassle to ship to Canada. I spoke with him for a bit and I decided I didn't have a problem with it. He send me the Money via paypal (NOT AS A GIFT). Once I had it I shipped the product and sent him the information. It's in transit now. But there doesn't seem to be too much too it, really. Just be aware that if something feels weird, back out.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 20
I just got back from the Post office to get some quotes for North America and they needed specific zip codes/postal codes to give any quotes.

Also, do I need to worry about Insurance or is this more for selling on E-Bay because of the scammers?

I have no idea about shipping to North America. I prefer shipping within the EU to avoid any hassles with regards to taxes. I clearly state that the advertised price does not include shipping (you can't predict who's going to buy your stuff and where that person lives). Once someone shows interest, I look up how much it costs to ship to that country using my preferred courier. I always use track & trace and usually insure the shipment as well. Gear can be quite expensive and if the buyer reports it's not working, the only responsible thing to do is refund him/her. With insurance, nobody has to take a hit. With regards to scammers, only ship when you have received the money :) Other than that, you're covered.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 20

When my customer wanted to ship to Canada I asked him to provide a postal code. Then I checked online using USPS and tacked the shipping to the normal cost. This worked for me at least. But I am in the US, might be different for you.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks guys!
I'll definitely use Paypal's non-gift option.

For those who don't know I should pass on a scammer technique where the buyer sends a fake E-mail from Paypal showing the money was put in your account.
Everyone says it looks exactly like an E-Mail from Paypal... but it isn't.
When you log into your real account...nothing's there.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 20
I need some help again.

I just sold some Headphones to another member but I don't understand Paypal.

I gave my E-mail for Paypal and the money was put in...is this the "gift" technique I'm not suppose to use?
I checked Paypal and it doesn't say what the money was for.
However Paypal DID take a fee and says "seller protection~eligible"
Or is it sending it as a "gift" that we're not suppose to do?

Also, should I be concerned the Shipping information is a Company and not the persons name?
And do I need to use Paypals shipping print out or will I be fine with Canada Posts receipt?

Sorry for being so green but I never sold anything with Paypal before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back