I need recommendations for Jazz
Feb 8, 2024 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

username643827

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Iam getting bored of my jazz playlists. Any recomendations? Albums that you liked enjoyed, I prefer smooth jazz but i listen to all types overall. :ksc75smile:

I mostly listen to my Albums on FLAC files not on vinly or streaming so the best way would be just telling the songs/albums name. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Check out Fourplay, I quite like their contemporary jazz stuff. Quite good to chill and relax to.

Silver:
Cover3.jpg

Elixir:
Cover.jpg

Best of Fourplay (remastered 2020):
Cover1.jpg

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Ethan Iverson
Black Art Jazz Collective
Patricia Barber
Eddie Henderson
Ray Brown
Ulf Wakenius
Oscar peterson
Tord Gustavson Trio
Dave Brubeck
Kurt Elling
Matt Penman
Lezlie Harrison
Antoine Drye
Helge Lien trio
Tingvall Trio
Nils Peter Molvaer
Espen Eriksen Trio

or check the Thread with Jazz music as mentioned by @jimbop54

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 7
Can't really refer you to specific albums, but if you're into jazz vocalists there are alot of good ones to potentially explore/look into.

Samara Joy is a recent find. But there are alot of good "oldies" worth a listen too, like Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen McCrae, Astrud Gilberto, Sade, Nina Simone, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Judy Garland... the list goes on.

There are alot of good male jazz singers as well, like George Benson, Frank Sinatra, Louie Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Mel Torme, Tony Bennett... If you're lookin for a little more pop flavor, there's Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart, and folks like that. If you're more into blues, you could try some BB King, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, and so forth... Just depends what you're into.

There are alot of good R&B singers these days too. (Too many to count really.) I'll also refer you to this thread for some other ideas on smooth jazz and easy listening: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fav...oft-rock-city-pop-muzak-music-artists.898109/

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (this is more jazz fusion but a great album nonetheless)

Watched Herbie playin "Maiden Voyage" with LA Phil tonight on PBS... Heady stuff, but good. I've probably mentioned this before, but Pat Metheny and Weather Report were a couple of my favs in the fusion genre, back in the day. Always been a big Herbie fan too, though some of his stuff definitely goes over me head. :)

I don't listen to much fusion or straight head jazz these days, but played a little trumpet once upon a time, and listened to a number of horn players, including Miles Davis, Doc Severinsen, Chuck Mangione, Maynard Ferguson, Chet Baker, Dizzy Gillespie, Hugh Masekela, Herb Alpert, Don Cherry, Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Marsalis and Tom Browne, back in the day. There are a wide variety of styles represented among these artists. If you decide to try some of em though, give your ears frequent rests in between. :)

Albums aren't really my thing, but I will mention Davis's Kind of Blue (since noone else has). This was a seminal album for the development of modern jazz based on "modes", rather than conventional chords. More info about this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_jazz

Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" is also modal btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_Voyage_(composition)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 7
If you're by chance interested in listening to a smooth jazz singer, check out Michael Franks. He's one of my top artists despite me not listen to much other stuff that would be labeled as smooth jazz. His music is just so chill and catchy and the groove is always so right.

Also, I think that an album that doesn't get recommended enough is saxophonist Kamasi Washington's Harmony of Difference. Although it's considered a contemporary piece, I think it's both a great place for beginners to start as well as a breath of fresh air for people who've listened to lots of straight ahead stuff and are looking to mix it up. It's a sort of energetic orchestral-like suite that is always a treat to listen to.

Lastly but by no means leastly, if you want to listen to some beautiful vocal and guitar artistry, Fitzgerald & Pass...Again by Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass and Solo in Rio 1959 by Luiz Bonfá are total bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back