i need recommendations - bass/basshead & forward mids? together?
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Playstation

500+ Head-Fier
hello all

let us try something different with this thread. I will start with what I DON'T want.

I DO NOT want a flat/neutral sound. Never have, not what I am looking for. I am not an audiophile, or a sound purist.

If I had to put what I am looking for in order it would be - mids, then bass, then treble.

as far as subjectivity goes. take the HD598's, from what I have read, most people find they have forward mids. Are there any headphones out there that have mids that are more forward? If yes, which ones?

and now for bass. don't basshead headphones have the V shape sonic sound signature? If yes, doesn't this also mean they wouldn't have forward mids?

can you not have something leaning more towards basshead bass, but with forward mids as well? If yes, please recommend something that meets this description.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 9
Let us try something different with this thread. I will start with what I DON'T want.
I DO NOT want a flat/neutral sound. Never have, not what I am looking for. I am not an audiophile, or a sound purist.
If I had to put what I am looking for in order it would be - mids, then bass, then treble.
as far as subjectivity goes. take the HD598's, from what I have read, most people find they have forward mids. Are there any headphones out there that have mids that are more forward? If yes, which ones?
and now for bass. don't basshead headphones have the V shape sonic sound signature? If yes, doesn't this also mean they wouldn't have forward mids?
can you not have something leaning more towards basshead bass, but with forward mids as well? If yes, please recommend something that meets this description.
Could you list a budget?
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones, nice fiesta sound.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 9
Audeze lcd-2 classic are mid forward with slightly highs recessed. Hd650 are also mid forward.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 9
+1 on EQ. Also, sounds like you're looking for a 'W' sound signature. I'm like you, most of my headphones have been purchased in the pursuit of banging bass, clear guitar/vocals, but not too forward and then light on the highs, but cymbals should be clear. I do like my music 'colored'.....so make it sound bigger and deeper and accentuate the wall of guitar and synth background but do magical things with voices.

I've ended up with the TH-X00 Purplehearts and love them. For a change of pace, the Phillips Fidelio X2 is sublime and easy to listen to. My LCD-2C's are also smooth and bassy. Honestly I have more fun with the Purplehearts, though. I continue to play with the Elear which I enjoy, having just ordered some Dekoni fenestrated sheep pads to see if we can correct some the mid suckout folks have complained about.

I have the ModHouse Argons Mk3 and with the right track these can be glorious. However, if I really want to hear magic, I simply opt for the HD6xx and plug it into the Darkvoice, running Tung-Sol Tubes that I sourced from a trusted vintage NOS dealer. Enough bass, but the midrange.....glorious. I guess it's a balance equation. Bass past a certain point is likely going to steal from or bleed into the Mids. So far, I find the perfect trade-off with the 6xx and the TH-X00.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back