I need open cans...should I spend $100 on Fidelio L2s or $50.00 on SPH9500s?
Nov 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Cruelhand Luke

Headphoneus Supremus
I have closed cans that I like, Sony MDR 750s and Monoprice 8323s....There are lots of things I like about both headphones. I wish the Sonys had a little more bass, but I LOVE the clarity and detail. The 8323s are just fun, especially considering I paid about $12.00 after a promo code. 
The thing I am missing is soundstage. I had Portapros a while back and I always loved the way it made things seem 3d and immersive. I realize now that it is the open back design that I enjoyed. 
So why not just get another set of Portapros? 1) I have a really good headband that came with crappy drivers, so I intend to get a set of KSC75 drivers and do a swap. 2) I prefer over to on ear.

I have narrowed it down to three choices. My first choice is the Philips L2

Just look at them. I don't care about looks that much (Nobody buys the MDR7506 for looks, right?) but these are amazing from a design standpoint.
I really like everything I have read about them in terms of sound, fit and finish, materials, form factor, impedance etc. They are on sale for $100, which seems like a stellar deal. 

BUT....are they worth $50.00 more than the SHP9500? Strictly in terms of sound quality, are the L2s that much better? I like the looks well enough, and I will have to do a few mods, but with the extra $50.00 I could get a cmoy amp and all of my headphones would benefit. 

My third and somewhat more distant option is the Superlux 668b if they drop in price on black friday. I need them to be $30.00 or less to get over how completely weird and embarrassing they look. I know it's silly but unless someone can tell me they sound good enough to look so weird, I need them to be cheap to get over it. I know I said I don't care about looks, but come on, these are really pushing it

I would really appreciate input if anyone has ideas about how I should spend $100 or less to get my open backed headphone vacancy filled.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back