I need new speakers and sound card
Oct 3, 2009 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, I am fed up with Creative sound cards and will never buy another one. Worst software ever, garbage support. Nothing ever works. I'm just done with it, I don't even want to go into it.

So I was thinking of getting an Auzentech. I think that part is done, but next up is speakers. Since Logitech seems to have a monopoly, I don't see many choices. I have Logitech Z-560s right now and both rear channels went out, so I have to put them both in the front channels on the sub to get any sound out of them. This of course takes away the stereo effects and they just sound like ass.

The only ones I see that are comparable specs wise are the Z-5500s and they are a bit out of my budget, cheapest is $320. Are there ANY other options, better sounding options, whatever? I wish Klipsch still made their Promedia 5.1s, I remember them sounding very good.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 38
I have the Klipsch promedia 5.1 and there not all that great, I got them on sale for around $100-$150 some years back now. For $320 you could get a pretty decent setup, forget the gimmicky soundcard and buy a decent 5.1 with optical out card for about $20-$30 and spend the $300 on a decent set of bookshelf speakers.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Klipsch promedia 5.1 and there not all that great, I got them on sale for around $100-$150 some years back now. For $320 you could get a pretty decent setup, forget the gimmicky soundcard and buy a decent 5.1 with optical out card for about $20-$30 and spend the $300 on a decent set of bookshelf speakers.

Any suggestions on brands? I want something that has similar power to my Z-560s, something with a lot of bass.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 38
You won't find bookshelf speakers with a lot of bass unless you are ready to spend quite a bit more than your current budget. You might get better/cleaner bass out of them, but it won't "boom" like you are probably used to.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 38
*Grumbles*

So then I'm back to computer speakers I guess. What a stupid market to have ONE 5.1 system with some decent power. Guess I'll just hold out, because I refuse to pay $350 for speakers that cost half that a couple years ago. Maybe I'll find a deal.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 38
Ok, well about about this. Since I know nothing about PC audio, what would you guys do with a 300-350 dollar limit? I'm sure that's pocket change, but it's all I want to spend right now.

I mainly listen to music (metal, rock, jazz, acoustic) and play some video games. What is the best setup for that for my budget? I guess I don't quite need the "boom" I got with the Z-560s, but I want to have SOME boom with the bass, nothing like the cheapy 2.1 systems I hear at stores.

EDIT: Exactly what will I need? I guess the speakers are sold as pairs, but do I still need a sub and then an amp as well?

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 38
Go into some actual music shops and check out their active studio monitors.

They are all self powered/amped.

They will also give you better quailty sound than anything in the pc audio speaker market.

I'm not located in the states so I can't give you a guage on price ranges.

I know though that many computer users have been swayed towards brands like audioengine.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 38
Ok thanks, that'll give me something to look for. If someone has any specific models that are active let me know.

Are the PSB B25s active? They seem to be based on the page I'm looking at.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, they arent active based on the pbs website.

Check these out Audio Engine A5

They also fall neatly into your price range. Many of the others in the show us your pc rig have these are their dedicated pc speakers.

Thanks, I checked the desktop versions out but didn't think to check these out. I figured desktop would be better but I guess not.

I'll go read about about these and find some reviews. If I decide to get an amp down the road, can that be used with active monitors or won't that work?

EDIT: Just answers my own question upon reading the first review. I'm just unsure how the power of them will be, but I guess I need to find a dealer around me to test them out. And what would a step up from these be/cost?

Seems like people who are used to Logitech thumping bass are disappointed with the bass of these speakers, but if I can get a standalone sub somewhere I'd assume the bass would not only be much plentiful, but much clearer than my Z-560s as well, is that correct?

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 38
A standalone sub will let you tweak its volume to your liking. You don't want to go cheap on the sub though as otherwise it could ruin the sound more than anything else.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 38
Hello jfindon,

I can recommend the "Teufel Concept" 5.1 speaker series, they sound beautiful. The speakers come in several different versions to fit any budget.

Teufel's webpage -> PC/Multimedia Speakers

Alternatively, pretty much any Bose sound system sounds nice too, though Bose products tend to be a bit pricey.
frown.gif

Bose's webpage -> Computer Speakers - Computer Sound Systems - Bose Multimedia Speakers

-Tricky

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back