I need new headphones - up to $300?
Jun 15, 2008 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BetaLyr

100+ Head-Fier
But the thing is that they need to be bought from Amazon. (I got some Amazon gift certificates for my birthday.)

- I don't want new in-ears, because I'm already very happy with my RE2
- Full-sized, unless you can convince me otherwise
- Preferably closed

These will be for home use, and sometimes on-the-go. Portability isn't a must. I really don't care now big these are.

I don't have an amp yet, but I plan on getting one in the near future. I need a pair of headphones that sound alright without an amp, but really improve with amping.

The headphones must have great clarity, little/no sibilance, smooth mids, and tight impacting bass. They must be fun headphones.
wink.gif

I mostly listen to rock (Muse, Jimmy Eat World, and others) and classical.

I've tried the K701 before and didn't like them.
I'm hesitant about getting the D2000 or DT770, because of their supposed flabby bass.
As for the Ultrasones, I'm really unsure. I tried a pair of PROline 650, and didn't like them too much either, the bass was a tad on the boomy side.
The A900 looks good on paper, but I've heard them before (along with the A500, A700, and AD700), and there's nothing special about them. (And supposedly, they don't improve much from an amp.)

Headphones that I've tried/owned and liked: Head-Direct RE2, MylarOne X3, X3i (after burn-in), Sennheiser HD595, HD650, Sony CD3000, and AKG K1000.
There are more, but I have horrible memory.. And, of course, the last three aren't available on Amazon or are not within my budget.

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions!
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance!

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 8
HD650s

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 8
D2000 is good unamp, but doesn't sound dramatically better when amped, sure there is a difference, but i am sure you will find a bigger difference with Sen hd600/hd650, AKG k601/k701 etc... or maybe my lyrix & boa are just not good enough.

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Lol. 650s on amazon for under $300?

I'd be there if they were! Perhaps HD600s? They're a fine piece of eqipment for the money.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm a great fan of either Senn HD600 or Alessandro MS2i. MS2i if I'm leaning toward a Rock sound; or HD600 if it's toward the Classical end.

Hard to pick just one. Lots of overlap though; they both can do both; just one better at some stuff than the other.

The MS2i can live easier without an amp; but they both enjoy a bit of amplification.

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a great fan of either Senn HD600 or Alessandro MS2i. MS2i if I'm leaning toward a Rock sound; or HD600 if it's toward the Classical end.

Hard to pick just one. Lots of overlap though; they both can do both; just one better at some stuff than the other.

The MS2i can live easier without an amp; but they both enjoy a bit of amplification.

cant get the ms2is from amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back