I need new headphones. (Around 200-250$)
Apr 16, 2008 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chrysanthos

New Head-Fier
Good afternoon.

I need a new pair of headphones and im absolutely clueless as to what i should get.

I want the vocals to be crisp and clear, well detailed and clear sound with an accurate bass that is not too dominant.

I listen to alot of rock, classical guitar/piano and hard rock.

I'll be using them on the computer so it'd be preferable if they are easily driven, but i might get an amp in the future to further improve the sound. But, really.. they should be able to play just fine without an amp.

I don't treat my gear as well as i should so they should be able to take a minor beating before falling apart.

Grado's are out of the question because they are nearly impossible to get in my country. Also i'd appreciate several suggestions as i live in a backwaters country where head-fi isn't too popular so getting decent phones might be tricky.

And my budget, hmm.. around 200-250$

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 13
^yeah audio technica ADH-900's are nice, Beyerdynamic DT770s maybe, Ultrasone HFI-780, Grado sr225, lot of choices in that range

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 13
So ive been checking out various headphones and i came up with these:

AKG K271 S
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
Sennheiser HD595

Beyer's look really comfortable and the sound quality seems alright too, but there's just this one thing that concerns me after reading all the reviews about them.. Its the insane amount of bass they are supposed to deliver, i don't want my music to be completely dominated by bass. Any input on this?

What about the other phones mentioned above, whats the sound they produce like?

My previous headphones were the Koss 4AA pro titanium and the sound they produced was not all that great. And wearing them over huge lenghts of time was a traumatic experience in itself. I got so sweaty and it felt like the headphones themselves were trying to crush my skull.

I really don't want to experience something as uncomfortable as that ever again.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysanthos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be using them on the computer so it'd be preferable if they are easily driven, but i might get an amp in the future to further improve the sound. But, really.. they should be able to play just fine without an amp.

You won't be able to get a full sound out of the K271s without an amp and are probably not the best choice because of that. Otherwise they fit the bill rather nicely.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 13
You NEED to look into the Denon D2000, especially for rock. I'm guessing you thought they were out of your price range. Amazon has them on a huge sale right now. $231.22 SHIPPED.

Denon D2000

Not sure what country you are in though.

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Hello and thanks for your reply, but as far as i know Amazon.com doesen't ship to Africa and even if they did it would take forever to get them here, which is why i'd prefer to buy them in a store.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Audiocubes ships pretty fast. You can get the ad900s there shipped worldwide. Make sure you get the AD AIR Dynamic not the A900 Art series which are closed. They are probably your best bet for your requirements. I cannot think of anything else for the price range but am only recommending them to you based from listening to the higher end ad2000 and from peoples reviews here on headfi. AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 Air Headphones - ATH-AD900 -

Try pricejapan and bluetin.com also for better prices

The audio technica ad2000 is more sensitive and easier to drive even compared to grados. Judging from that, the ad900 should be about as easy to drive. You can confirm with other headfiers about the ad900 since I'm basing this on the ad2000 which have the same specs pretty much

I had 595s, they were good but lacked impact. The 555s are less technical but was funner to me. The dt770s I havent heard but If I judge coming from their top of the line dt990 2005 edition, Its probably not that good because even the open 990s were sterile. The k271s are probably gonna be too hard to drive without a powerful amp because even the k240s I had which are supposedly much easier to power were pretty hard to drive

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 13
well, as you listen to that different music types, I would grab some combo...

taking your budget in consideration, I would grab some Grados / Alessandros for rock and some voices, and grab some used Senns (HD580) for classical!

and then, of course, upgrade into K701 for classical
and some decent amp
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have recommended grados but the OP already said no to grado

well, I thought about that too... and as he said "cant get them in his country" I remembered that Alessandro ships worlwide!...

he would only have to pay for customs!

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Hello and thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not too sure about the Grado's to be honest, i found them to be very uncomfortable over lengths of time, even with a sock over the pads. I had to take them off every 30 min or so to massage my earlobes. Comfort is pretty important since i'll be using them for 6+ hours straight every day.

Nor do i fancy having multiple phones for various music types, i'd rather just have one all around set and be happy with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll see if i can check out them Audio technica phones, do you perhaps have a link for them?

I'm leaning towards the DT 770's though as they are supposed to be good all around phones with excellent comfort. Please do tell if you are inclined to disagree with my assumption.
smily_headphones1.gif

But by all means.. shower me with suggestions! i like having alot of options.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back