I need new cans!!
Jan 7, 2002 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
While I do love my Ety's very much, but their soundstage is a bit small for me. I would like to get a new headphone...preferably a full sized around the >300$ range for home and a little bit of portable use. I have a cmoy already...but might invest in a better amp later on. I have considered the HD600s or a used stax system. Any input would be nice.

Jan 7, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 6
Since your looking into Stax as well, I assume cans that lack the bottom octave wont be a problem? If your looking for a wide soundstage thats precise, and a headphone that gives you an out-of-head experience, I'd suggest the AKG K501. You can get both them and a sufficient amp to drive them for about what your price range is.

Oh, and when I say wide, I mean WIDE. So wide infact, some people even say they have an exaderatedly wide soundstage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Theyre also pretty neutral across the response, aside from the low frequencies which roll off pretty sharply, though there is plenty of bass to go around for quite a few of us who enjoy them. The mids and highs, and soundstage definatly make up for their downfall: Lack of low bass.

Jan 7, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 6
Im pretty sure i would need a more powerfull driver for 501s, what would you recommend (tubes look kinda sexy right now) but the 501 looks more solid state-ish and the HD600 looks more tube-ish....

Jan 7, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Im pretty sure i would need a more powerfull driver for 501s, what would you recommend (tubes look kinda sexy right now) but the 501 looks more solid state-ish and the HD600 looks more tube-ish....

I'm really not sure. Waiting for Neruda or kwkarth to chime in on this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

From my experience, they sound good with the Creek OHB-11. I've heard others claim the same. This doesnt go for the 600's though, which dont sound so hot on this amp (or not at all, not sure about that). I havent compared them with different amps.

The HeadRoom MAX would be a good candidate, however it's $1777. HeadRooms other amps may power them sufficiently and sound good as well, but I'm not sure. The AKGs are VERY power hungry headphones. Some say the most so that they've ever used. I've only used a few, so I cant say for sure. They do eat power for breakfast lunch and dinner, though. Their treble and mid performance is excellent, though. The HD600s have a warmer sortof laid back sound, with somewhat exaderated midbass, which I dont prefer. The 501's on the other hand are pretty neutral. Theyre not really bass heavy or bass shy, and nothing really appears to stick out amoung the rest of the frequencies. In my experience though, the bass is only usefull to 40hz, after that it becomes pretty useless. If low frequencies are something you're going to really need, then look elsewhere.

Jan 7, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 6
i personally think the HD600´s sound GREAT with the OBH-11 and the HD590´s too! that´s not saying it´s great also for the K501s! basically, OBH-11 is the most versatile and musical amp i have ever listened to and is underrated, i personally prefer it over the OBH-11SE and any tube amp in this price range, ESPECIALLY(not even) with sennheisers! now grados...... those are a different story, RA-1 is the only amp for Grados IMO. Good luck! any phone you have on your criteria seem to be excellent, have you tried the HD590? i personally prefer it over the HD600 and it is the world´s most comfortable (and one of the most coolest looking) headphones. Nice and "crashy" too, an unboring HD600, is how i interpret it.

Jan 7, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 6
The Porta Corda does a credible job of driving the 501's. It's not in the same league mind you as the Max or the SAC but it doesn't sound bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back