I need my first amp (mainly for grado 225's but also ue triple fi's)
Jan 18, 2008 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

seals

100+ Head-Fier
I need an amp now because I plan on purchasing grado 225's. I'll start out with size. I would prefer a small, really portable one but would settle with a medium size (eg. twice the size of an ipod classic). I heard the grado's are light on bass so would like something that doesn't distort the audio signal, but adds a little more bass (if that is possible). I'm accepting any price right now (but would like to keep it in the $100 range because it isn't powering a high end can). THANKS

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 11
nobody? (just to clarify: I would like it to be around the size of an altoids tin but wouldn't mind if it was about twice the size of the ipod classic; I just don't want an amp as big as my laptop screen).

Would the headroom total airhead work good for my requirements? My wallet is crying and it is cheap.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 11
The total airhead is an nice little amp in your price range. What is your source? If you use a laptop alot too you might want to spend the extra to get a Total Bithead. I've used this amp in the past and it produced very nice sound quality for the price and sounded very clean because of its USB audio support. Just something to look into. You may also want to look at some of the C&C Box amps they are small around $100 and have some low frequency enhancements as well. No USB though...

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 11
The P2 will meet your requirement. It will not put dents on your wallet but put a lot of eargasm on your bare ears with any of your HP.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 11
The Total Airhead is the way to go if you're not going to use a computer as your source. If you are, then the Bithead is a good choice. I got one about a week ago, and am really impressed with the ability to use it with my Zen, laptop, or desktop computer. Pretty versatile for the money.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks so much for the input guys. I will be using my ipod classic as the source (my laptop doesn't have a sound card and thats just more money). I'm leaning towards the total airhead at this point. Just one question (I'm a complete noob to amps): If I buy a line out for the ipod, will it fit the total airhead? How does that work? Again thanks SO MUCH for the responses.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much for the input guys. I will be using my ipod classic as the source (my laptop doesn't have a sound card and thats just more money). I'm leaning towards the total airhead at this point. Just one question (I'm a complete noob to amps): If I buy a line out for the ipod, will it fit the total airhead? How does that work? Again thanks SO MUCH for the responses.

You have to be careful with the line out and the airhead. The line in on the airhead is on one of the corners. Therefore, cable length will be a big issue. I used to use an airhead with my nano. But that worked only because the nano is small and still fit the size of the amp. A bigger ipod won't match well unless you get a longer cable or a 90 degree angle jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back