I need my broken Linum cable fixed,
Aug 29, 2017 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jedaite

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

My Linum BAX cable broke and the warranty's out. In fact, the build quality, especially how the cable is glued onto the jack is just bad and after a few accidental tugs, it will eventually end in no/or intermittent sound on either the left or right side. This is such a shame, since it's a very good cable.

My question is: Do you guys know someone in the EU who may be able to reterminate my cable so as to make it stronger so I don't get the same problem again?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi everyone,

My Linum BAX cable broke and the warranty's out. In fact, the build quality, especially how the cable is glued onto the jack is just bad and after a few accidental tugs, it will eventually end in no/or intermittent sound on either the left or right side. This is such a shame, since it's a very good cable.

My question is: Do you guys know someone in the EU who may be able to reterminate my cable so as to make it stronger so I don't get the same problem again?

Don't forget we get 2 years warranty here in the EU so just give them a yell. They were kind enough to replace my Linum Music cable when this happened to me.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, but I already had mine replaced 3 times. That's how disappointing the build quality is. I still have my Westone Epic cable since 5 and a half years ago and it only went bad on the right side a week ago. It still works, but not always. That cable went through so much abuse you wouldn't believe it.

That's not to say I don't take care of my cables and gear.

In fact, I'm very careful with it. However, there are times when it just tugs cause you drop your phone while the cable's plugged in or you accidentally pull it out of the laptop cause you had to open the door for a friend and forgot the cable's plugged in.

May I ask why you had to get yours replaced? Any info on how it went bad on you would be appreciated.

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 8
The issue is the same as yours with the glue becoming brittle and breaking the connection between cable and plug after several months of use.
They were very good and swapped. This happened only once and was unexpected. I have not had issues since.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for confirming my assumption that the cables are indeed poorly manufactured. This is so disappointing.
I'll continue to look for a company or service within the EU that may be able to fix my Linum.

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't think they're poorly manufactured. One example is not suggestive of all. I have been pleased with mine so far and the replacement is fine. Cables break. Nothing lasts forever. If, as you say you put extra stress on the plug on occasions in error it can't help but that's not to suggest every one is a build fail. You may simply have been unlucky, but you may have exceeded any tolerance the cable and plug had. Mine could have broken for the same reasons but I cannot say.

All I'm saying is you can't blame the company, manufacturing or yourself for something that may or may not be related. I suspect they sell thousands of cables and have a tolerable level of returns due to occasional problems. They fact that they swapped both our cables is a good thing. I once had some earphones from Musical Fidelity who disowned them when they broke with a loose wire. That put me off the company and their products more than Linum who have been good on their support so far.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't know what happened, but I believe the cable could be made to last more. The black rubber coat that surrounds the 3.5mm jack will eventually come unglued and you'll have to glue it yourself. That's not good.
I did have and still have my Westone Epic cable which is going strong after 5 years of use and abuse (non-intentional). We'll see if the same problems occur with my new cable which should arrive this week. I'm certain that's going to be the case and I bought it taking that into consideration.

The reason I did that is because of how thin and light the cable is, but also because it does indeed improve sound quality. I actually thought about buying the SuperBAX, but I won't do that unless I know build quality is improved.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I have three of these cables and two went bad.

They are either poorly designed, or poorly manufactured.

i came into this category looking for replacement cables. I have never broken any cable, and now I lose two from the same maker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back