I need IEMs where the highs go on forever and have superb 3D soundstage
Mar 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

BaconWhispers

New Head-Fier
After living a life of dollar store headphones/iems I finally got some Vsonic GR0s BE and love them, but I really want that sweet treble upper mids-highs...
I see the Etymotic HF5 but those are old (if that means anything). Whats good in the more recent times of today?

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 33
Based on http://www.head-fi.org/t/639244/multi-iem-comparison-vsonic-gr07-ultimate-ears-ue700-tdk-ba200-etymotic-research-hf5-and-audeo-pfe-112

The GR07 don't hold up very well

Looks like I really want the pfe112 or xba-3
However it looks like one can not simply buy the pfe112 anymore?

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 33
The UE900, DBA-02 MKII, R-50, CK10, Sony EX1000, JVC FX700 and Grado GR10 are very detailed in highs with good punchy bass and open wide soundstage.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:
The UE900, DBA-02 MKII, R-50, CK10, Sony EX1000, JVC FX700 and Grado GR10 are very detailed in highs with good punchy bass and open wide soundstage.

Really... With so many high priced IEMs in your recommendation, could you at least clarify what the pros/cons would be for each in comparison to the others? It is always helpful for someone seeking IEM advice to have specific sound signature comparisons for each earphone so they have a better idea about what they'll be getting for their money.

I take it you do own all of those models, or have listened at length to corroborate your simple one sentence recommendation? 

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 33
To put it bluntly; I don't know what the hell I am doing. I have this "thing" in my mind where I want balanced bass, razor crisp highs, and very clean seperation (3D).

I'm tired of all this over rated bass. More bass, MORE bass, MORE BASS... I don't buy it, and simply do not like it. I enjoy balanced music (particularly the highs and instuments)
I love pianos and would have and ear-gasm if each key sounded like molted gold being pored in my ears(that would be a good thing). I am not quite sure if any of this helps, but I tried.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:
Based on http://www.head-fi.org/t/639244/multi-iem-comparison-vsonic-gr07-ultimate-ears-ue700-tdk-ba200-etymotic-research-hf5-and-audeo-pfe-112

The GR07 don't hold up very well

Looks like I really want the pfe112 or xba-3
However it looks like one can not simply buy the pfe112 anymore?

Wait what?
In which frame of reference would they not hold on well within that review? I think ljokerl gave some pretty high accolades towards the VSonics.
And why would the XBA-3, known for a bit of roll-off, be bolded instead?
Quote:
To put it bluntly; I don't know what the hell I am doing. I have this "thing" in my mind where I want balanced bass, razor crisp highs, and very clean seperation (3D).

I'm tired of all this over rated bass. More bass, MORE bass, MORE BASS... I don't buy it, and simply do not like it. I enjoy balanced music (particularly the highs and instuments)
I love pianos and would have and ear-gasm if each key sounded like molted gold being pored in my ears(that would be a good thing). I am not quite sure if any of this helps, but I tried.

ER4S. Balance, all about the separation, very crisp. Just a linear sig.

Quote:
Really... With so many high priced IEMs in your recommendation, could you at least clarify what the pros/cons would be for each in comparison to the others? It is always helpful for someone seeking IEM advice to have specific sound signature comparisons for each earphone so they have a better idea about what they'll be getting for their money.

I take it you do own all of those models, or have listened at length to corroborate your simple one sentence recommendation? 

This +1000. Thank you.

Quote:
DBA-02 MKII

R-50

seems to be an ok price although I hate to admit that I was shooting for $100-120. However quality does cost.... I guess these two knock the socks off of HF5?

Not really.
TBH the HF5 get too close to the ER4s in sound, so if you're not looking for really nice build (nozzles are a bit thin on the former)...
But technicality-wise the three are pretty on par.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 33
For me in your range price the best option are the GR07 or the Audeo PFE 112 but run because the audeo shop is going to close when they sell all the stock.
Cheers

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 33
I have the UE 900 and so far nothing have yet to beat it's sound stage and have VERY clear highs, but the new SA7 has the craziest trebles I have ever heard, and that's with the treble minus port installed.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

No offence but it's open forum and everybody has right to recommend rather than attacking on someone recommendations, If you have better recommendation then OP is waiting but so far nothing but attack. I want to add something about Etymotic ER4P/S, they offers very extended highs, highly detailed mids and good bass response, there soundstage, bass improve with AMPs help(highly recommended if you can add AMPs).

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 33
I'm throwing the Earsonics SM64 in :)
Huge and precise soundstage and super awesome highs.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:
No offence but it's open forum and everybody has right to recommend rather than attacking on someone recommendations, If you have better recommendation then OP is waiting but so far nothing but attack.

Eh, I think cn11 is not trying to "attack" you, but merely questioning the basis of your recommendations, while also suggesting that you explain your suggestions a bit more specifically. And it's not like he was impolite. Rather than taking offense to his post, it'd be much nicer if you answer cn11's question straight up.

No offense but as you said this is an open forum, so I think everyone has right to question the validity of others' recommendation. I personally wouldn't recommend any IEM unless I own/owned/demo'd that IEM; I don't think it is too much to ask whether you have at least listened to the IEMs you recommended.

Anyways, just for the sake of recommendation for the OP, I wholeheartedly recommend Audio-Technica CK10 & CK100 Pro, good ol' ER-4S and if the OP can afford/find one, j-phonic k2 SP or FitEar F111 -- Those IEMs have well-extended highs and well-defined (albeit not massive) 3D soundstage, if that's what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back