I Need Help With What To Buy (Sorry... I'm new...)
Dec 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Yffum

New Head-Fier
Yeah, I'm sure I'm only the 9,000th person to make one of these threads, but I'm new to this (I'm upgrading from the standard apple earphones, lol) and I've been looking for a while, but I can't seem to figure out what I want by myself. I hope you don't hate me on my first post for this.

First up, I have some source questions that are sort of unrelated and if you could direct me to the right place to ask them I'd be grateful.

1. When I upload music from a CD to iTunes am I lowering the quality? If so how could I get music onto iTunes without doing that?
2. Is music listened to on iTunes a higher quality than music on my iPhone (downloaded from iTunes)?
3. Does the iTunes sound enhancer actually work in any way? I tried it and it seems to make some music sound a little clearer, but what do I know...

Now to the headphones I want, I think I'll use bullets -------->

• They have to be closed and pretty good at not leaking sound

• They have to be pretty durable (I will be carrying them around in my backpack)

• I want headphones for a variety of rock music, e.g.
-Beatles
-Rolling Stones
-Led Zeppelin
-The Doors
-Ramones
-AC/DC
-Metallica
-Disturbed

• Outside noise blocking isn't top on my list, so, yeah

• I want headphones that are not dependent on amp, for I will not be purchasing one

• I want headphones that will get the most out of my iPhone, but also play well on my computer. These will be my only headphones (for now...) and I want to use them at home for great quality, but whenever I leave the house I want to just stick them in my backpack so I can play them on my iPhone. Again, I'm not really sure if the quality of sound on my computer is much better than my iPhone...

• For the price I want to try and keep it under $200, but if it's a little more that's fine (if it's worth it)

Thanks to anybody who took their time to read this. I hope you're willing to help out a newbie
smile_phones.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 30
The 1st question about ITunes. You can select what data rate you are ripping CDs at in the preferences section of Itunes. Apple Lossless will compress the file without sacrificing sound quality.

I have heard great things about Shure SRH880 headphones. I have owned Shure In Ear Monitors and have been really happy with them. There new line of over the ear headphones have a very good reputation for sound quality, and are well within your budget. I believe they can be had on Amazon for around $150.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDewey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1st question about ITunes. You can select what data rate you are ripping CDs at in the preferences section of Itunes. Apple Lossless will compress the file without sacrificing sound quality.

I have heard great things about Shure SRH880 headphones. I have owned Shure In Ear Monitors and have been really happy with them. There new line of over the ear headphones have a very good reputation for sound quality, and are well within your budget. I believe they can be had on Amazon for around $150.

Do you think you could post a link, I can't seem to find them. Do you know which of the criteria above they meet? Thanks for the suggestion.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 30
Dec 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 30
From what I've heard, an amp is not necessary, however, they will sound better with an amp if you decide to go that route in the future.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 30
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll look into getting a small amp like that after I purchase some headphones that I'm happy with. I want to have something to compare it with, so do you think these would be better than those Beats headphones by Dr. Dre? I tried them at a store and they sounded pretty good, but from what I've heard you can get something better for much less and they're only popular because they're endorsed by a rapper.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 30
Check out Grados for rock music. I know they aren't closed but they are the best for all kinds of rock.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Grados for rock music. I know they aren't closed but they are the best for all kinds of rock.

I've heard that, I'll check them out. Any particular recommendations?

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yffum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll look into getting a small amp like that after I purchase some headphones that I'm happy with. I want to have something to compare it with, so do you think these would be better than those Beats headphones by Dr. Dre? I tried them at a store and they sounded pretty good, but from what I've heard you can get something better for much less and they're only popular because they're endorsed by a rapper.

If/when you're looking for a little amp, I have to put in a good word for Gary at Electric Avenues. He makes the PA2V2 (web site). He has the best customer service of anyone I've ever bought from online, and I would gladly buy from him again. Sorry if this is a little off-topic.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 30
Just a question...given that $200 isn't entirely too cheap for headphone + amp (you could probably get a start at both the amp and DAC, given that Headroom has a $100-Total-Bithead-with-headphone-purchase promotion going on), why don't you want to buy an amp? I'd think a more balanced system would be a better value than a system with a single necessary part missing (unless you're intending to drop another $200 on an amp in the near future).

Also, for quality computer audio, you're going to want a DAC eventually...that's basically an external soundcard, but they're usually better for listening than internal soundcards because (a) they're typically built entirely for stereo output (what normal people use) rather than making you pay for crazy balanced inputs and 7.1 surround sound, and (b) they're not subject to the electronic noise inside the computer, giving them a leg up on equivalent internal components. Your first DAC will probably be a combined DAC/amp (like the Total Bithead I mentioned earlier), but the best are dedicated components.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yffum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When it comes to the Dre's, you nailed it. The only reason they're remotely popular is because they are endorsed by a rapper, just like you said. The sound quality of those cans simply can't touch any typical audiophile pair of headphones for the same price range, and even those less expensive. Hell, i've heard the Porta Pro's sound better than Dre's. Also, with the Noise Canceling effect these headphones have, you lose a substantial amount of sound quality. I'm sure people have told you this, but basically noise canceling works by creating a sound opposite to the frequency of outside noise. For example, the loud steady noise of an airplane, it produces a sound of the opposite frequency in order to balance and eliminate outside noise. With this effect being so expensive, the only reason I could see getting these Beats or the Bose Quite Comforts would be if you only use them for traveling. From what you have posted, that certainly isn't the case with you. In my opinion, if you want a pair of incredible headphones for $200 or under roughly every suggestion given so far will utterly blow the Dre's out of the water. I purchased a pair of DJ1 Pro's a while back while having the same interests as yours, and I can tell you it was worth the purchase. Being closed cans alone, they do a damn good job of noise canceling. Seriously, my mom will often yell to me an then throw a fit because I don't respond and she thinks I'm ignoring her. But all in all man, avoid those overpriced noise cancelers, they're simply terrible.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 30
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

aristos_achaion ->

I see what your saying, but I've been forming a plan of how I'm going to start my collection and equipment and how I'll be using it.

I also really need to know if listening to music on my computer without an amp has any difference to listening to music on my iPhone

1. I want a pair of closed headphones that aren't dependent on an amp (I wouldn't really be using them on the street, but if I go over to my friends house or something I'd play them just on my iPod). For now I would use these with with my iPhone and on my computer without an amp or external sound card.

2. I would then eventually buy a pair of great-sounding open headphones like the Senn HD595 and a pretty good quality amp like you mentioned. I would use these at home when nobody's around, and when someone is around I'd use the headphones I bought before on my new amp/soundcard (same with on my iPod except no amp/soundcard)

3. Then after a while I'd buy a great pair of closed headphones that really get a lot out of an amp, and I'd get a high quality sound card/amp. Then I'd use [Open headphones + great amp/soundcard + computer] when I'm home alone. I'd use [Great closed headphones + great amp/soundcard + computer] when they're other people home that mind the noise. And I'd use [(Original or new?) closed headphones + iPhone] when I'm away.

So in the end I would only use these for my iPhone or not at all if the new closed headphones that are dependent on an amp actually sound better. So I just want the best closed rock headphones that aren't dependent on an amp. Eventually I would use them on an amp, but they'd be replaced later.

dub Beatz -->

Thanks for the review, it's good to know that any pair of headphones I get will be better than those ones, which blew me away in the store (lol, that's the first time I listened to real headphones).

derek800 -->

I read about it and looked at some of the reviews. It looks good, but there's mixed discussion about the bass and apparently it leaks sound pretty badly, which probably won't do for me. I don't like everybody in the room knowing what I'm listening to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back