I need help with options, reviews, and recommendations for a portable set-up.
Nov 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ZokharaFi

New Head-Fier
I need help with options, reviews, and recommendations for a portable set-up.

Information:
To start, you need to know that I love music. I. LOVE. MUSIC. I listen to every genre un-biased. Rock, Punk, Alternative, Classical, House, Dubstep, Jazz, Blues, Hip-Hop, Rap, and on very unusual occasions I'll find a pop song worth listening to for some element or another. With this in mind, I obviously need a well rounded pair of headphones. 

Hi-       I'm honestly not too worried about the hi's. In any quality headphones i'll get all I need.
Mid-     I never really knew how much I cared about good mid's until my dad bought a pair of Klipsch Forte's and I started hearing things in songs that I'd never heard before (some that I had been listening to for about 10 years) but now know that it is one of the most important ranges to have good quality in.
Low-     I really am a basshead. I love the feeling I get from hearing good, clear, strong bass. After my experience with a couple of (entry-level, mind you) bass-oriented headphones, namely my Sony MDR XB-500's, I fell in love with headphones that produced bass well enough to vibrate the ear pads. Feeling the bass is just as important, if not more, to me than the quality of the sound.

With all of the research I've done, I have found the Shure 940's the most appealing.... if only they weren't a blazing $300.. Audiotechnica headphones seem like my next best bet, but as much as I hear good about them I hear bad, so i'm a bit skeptical.

Main points:
Over--the-ear. I need noise cancelling headphones, not because I care if anyone else hears my music or not, but I need to block out the noise around me for my listening... it's just my listening-style and it is a definite must.
Strong build quality. I have bought 2 good entry level headphones in the past 3 years including the Sony's mentioned above, and a pair of Sennhieser HD 280's. Both of them broke right where the band connected to the head-phone part near the point of mobility. I realize that I need to buy a hard case for my headphones from now on, but I still don't want weak cheap plastic crap any more. I need well built headphones.

For what ever headphones I buy, I plan to purchase a Fiio 7 DAC converter/amp to supply the headphones with a healthy amount of juice. I am also needing help choosing a good portable player with a budget of $100. I'm not afraid to buy used, and don't care much about any feature over sound quality.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread, and I appreciate any help/advice offered.
Peace - ZokharaFi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back