I need help with name for an amplifier
May 12, 2015 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

barryt

Member of the Trade: Austin Audio Works
Hi, over the last year I brought into existence a remarkable headphone amplifier,  According to auditions it gives Eargasms. I agree, that was the idea of the design and philosophy.

I named the amplifier based on technology and version number.  The names for the three prototype versions were CCT1, CCT2, and CCT3, which I took to the Dallas hookup last year. CCT stood for Current Carrier Technology, a way of operating in the current mode to get gain and linearity with out feedback.

I built a pre-production unit and called it Sounami-hp (hp is for headphone, I have a prototype 100 watt version that would be Sounami-sp for speaker).  

A very good friend of mine (a most remarkable cable designer) told me the name sucked.

OK, I'm too close to all this.

I also am finishing a special phono pre-amplifier that I call the "Vinyl Lens".  This is because of the resolution resulting from being about 12 dB quieter than conventional preamps.  Not a bad name, Vinyl Lens eh?

But I am stumped on the amp.  In one conversation we joked about naming it after my shop cat and old friend, that is Fred, seen here sleeping on the power supply, the lower chassis in the amp photo on the right, we are designing a new chassis now.

So I ask you, what would you call an amplifier that give 'Eargasms', is technically all about no feedback and current mode operation, extrema bandwidth, true balanced operation?  Engage me with your ideas and I will engage you to learn more and make it a fair exchange for you.

Thank you, Barry Thornton  

May 23, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi Barry, 

In an age of outrageous names and endless numbers of amps and DACs with every imaginable permutation of numbers/letters, I really think we've heard them all now.  Therefore,  I  absolutely think you could be on to something with the name "Fred".  

Simple. Solid.  Built to last.  & made with love. Hand-crafted in a shop with old-fashioned values.  Who wouldn't want to buy an amp named after a cat.

It conjures up images exactly like that one of Fred pictured above.  And - if you ask me - that's a good thing. 

Jeb. 

May 24, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Elemental.

It seems to evoke the fundamental power of nature; that is pure, raw, and unrestrained in its presentation. Or you can just name it after your humble cat lol.

Dictionary.com

of the nature of an ultimate constituent; simple; uncompounded.

pertaining to rudiments or first principles.

pertaining to the agencies, forces, or phenomena of physical nature: elemental gods.

comparable to the great forces of nature, as in power or magnitude: elemental grandeur.

of, relating to, or of the nature of the four elements, earth, water, air, and fire, or of any one of them.

Or judging from Sounami, if you like your storms, you could try Tempest too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back