I need help with my office system
May 22, 2007 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
I work out of a 13'x11' home office quite a bit during the day and have an office listening system. Its a budget tube system (Jolida 302b and Totem Arro's fed buy lossless itunes through a Presonus Firebox as a Dac).

I like speakers when I am sitting at work but since I sit at a desk I am probably wasting my systems abilities.

Below is a photo of my workspace. Does anyone have any reccomendations on speaker placement/tricks? Should I just get a small pair of powered monitors and set them up on the 3rd shelves (like genelec 8020a's or 8030a's)?

office.jpg

May 22, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 5
You are on the same plane as the speakers. I would think you should put them behind you or better move the work station 6 to 8 feet away from the wall and leave the speakers where they are at. I would venture the stereo image and staging would improve.

May 22, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are on the same plane as the speakers. I would think you should put them behind you or better move the work station 6 to 8 feet away from the wall and leave the speakers where they are at. I would venture the stereo image and staging would improve.

Agreed. If you 'own' the room (and have absolute say over the configuration) then position the Arros 8 feet away and about a foot away from the corners of the opposite wall. Toe them in slightly and then test from the back sweet-spot. You don't need more system for a small room IMHO.

May 25, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 5
My main problem is that I also want to be able to sit back on the couch not pictured on the opposite wall and sit and listen.

I tried elevating the speakers, it cleared up a bit but didnt change much.

I tried the opposite wall and it did get a nice driver integration between the two speakers and full sound with bass impact. It sounded good during instrumental but as soon as a voice came in it was too akward and I had to punt it.

I tried moving the speakers out a little wider to the corners of the room pointing in 45 degrees (im sure this is a cardinal sin but it gets bass impact going though probably not very accuratly(. This helps the soundstage more and I get an image though its like I am in the front rows.

At least this way I can move the speakers back in a foot or so and point them square from the wall to listen properly from the couch.

No great but the best I have come accross so far.

May 27, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 5
I would suggest you consider again what catchresis stated above and move the speakers closer to the corners. I would try placing your speakers off the floor with a spiked foot platform with the Totems angled up slightly with the front of those Totems about one half to an inch higher than the backs. I would bet you are pushing the envelope when asking the Totems 4 1/2 incher to throw the music that far to the couch and the carpet is soaking up the range of the music that you enjoy. When I heard the totems at the LA home show the Totem Acoustics guys had them on spiked feet and only nine feet away. They sounded very nice BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back