I need help selecting headphones!!!
Jul 8, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 20
I'm with you Gus B -- while it wouldn't surprise if there was some bit of improvement with the TA, from what I've heard regarding the differences between the Airhead and TA, I can't imagine the improvement would justify the extra $100.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
I noticed a few suggestions to keep the 497's & get a total airhead. Any reason Y-Z shouldn't save $100 & get an airhead instead of a TAH? Has anyone compared them & heard a difference with 497s? I was under the impression that with lower end phones, the TAH really doesn't yield a better result than the AH. Uh oh, looks like it could be amp upgrade time for me already! (I use an AH with senn 280s & Koss portapros).

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
I noticed a few suggestions to keep the 497's & get a total airhead. Any reason Y-Z shouldn't save $100 & get an airhead instead of a TAH? Has anyone compared them & heard a difference with 497s? I was under the impression that with lower end phones, the TAH really doesn't yield a better result than the AH.

That may be true if he sticks with lower end headphones. But if he goes with the TAH he would be better equiped for upgrading to a higher end headphone. And let's face it, if he keeps hanging around Head-Fi, he is going to be upgrading.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #18 of 20
I see, so everyone agrees that I should get headphone amp first. Well, is there any high-end phones that don't require an amp? How about the Grados, Ety or Audio-Technica W-100, etc. I still dont like the idea of walking around with already massive NJB3 plus an amp
frown.gif
I might be able to convince my parents to loan me about $150 more to spend. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Y-Z

Jul 9, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Y-Z
I see, so everyone agrees that I should get headphone amp first. Well, is there any high-end phones that don't require an amp? How about the Grados, Ety or Audio-Technica W-100, etc. I still dont like the idea of walking around with already massive NJB3 plus an amp
frown.gif
I might be able to convince my parents to loan me about $150 more to spend. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Y-Z

I don't think you could go wrong with the Etymotic ER-4P. They are awesome headphones, and I have not met someone who has them that did not like how they sound. If you want something cheaper, that would be great with portables, you could go for beyerdynamic DT250-80's from meier audio. If you want to save money and not worry about a headphone amp, you could spend about 80$ and get a sony D-25S portable CD player, which has a headphone jack that is just as powerfull as most headphone amps. While the D-25S does not have any form of anti-skip, the sound makes it worthwhile.

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:09 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Y-Z
I still dont like the idea of walking around with already massive NJB3 plus an amp

This is not a suggestion, just an FYI. I have the NJB3, TAH and the Airbag customized for the NJB. It makes a very nice, compact, portable package that I take with me on all my business trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back