I NEED HELP PURCHASING COMPUTER SPEAKERS!!!
Oct 5, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
Here is link on getting started in computer audio:  http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/Connect/Digital_connect.htm.  You might want to read the entire list of topics.

As for speakers which is what you originally asked.  If I were you, I would get the Dayton setup that Destroysall mentioned.  I used to own the Swan M200s and was not that impressed.  There are a lot better passive speakers with amps in  the lower price ranges than active.

A few other things you should consider:  What is the brand of laptop, how are you going to get the signal out, analog or digital?, what is your player, what type files do you play, are you going to get a dac down the road, how much do you have budgeted for that?  How loud?  Where are the speakers going to be placed, how far away are you going to be from speakers when listening, how big is the room, etc.

cheers

My laptop is the HP Envy 14inch. I don't know how I'm going to get the signal out. My files are .mp3 but I plan on upgrading to FLAC sometime, I've just been too lazy to do it. As for a dac we'll have to see and loudness I would say it won't be booming but pretty loud, medium volume. As for speaker placement sub under my desk and bookshelfs on my desk. I will probably be about a foot to a a foot and a half from the speakers at most times.

I like destroyall's setup but that totals to around $200 (with a bigger sub) and I could spend about $50 more on the amp or the bookshelfs so I'm wondering which one I should upgrade and to what.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 40

How do you control volume when it's going through the sub to the amp? You couldn't use the volume controls on the amp then right? The amp has ports to have the lines from the amp go through it then to the speakers. Wouldn't that be easier?
Quote:

This will be a pretty balanced and decent setup.  Have a cable going from your computer to the amp, then the bookshelves to the amp.  For the subwoofer, just use the RCA line out and plug that in the RCA line in on the amp, and wala!!  This is a great setup for a start and will sound better than almost any computer speaker setup.  You can also add these for better isolation:

Auralex Subwoofer Isolation Riser
http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoofer-Isolation-15x15x2-inch-Charcoal/dp/B001140OZ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1317367067&sr=8-4

Auralex MOPAD Monitor Isolation Pads
http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-MOPAD-Monitor-Isolation-Charcoal/dp/B0002D0B4K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317367067&sr=8-2

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
My laptop is the HP Envy 14inch. I don't know how I'm going to get the signal out. My files are .mp3 but I plan on upgrading to FLAC sometime, I've just been too lazy to do it. As for a dac we'll have to see and loudness I would say it won't be booming but pretty loud, medium volume. As for speaker placement sub under my desk and bookshelfs on my desk. I will probably be about a foot to a a foot and a half from the speakers at most times.

I like destroyall's setup but that totals to around $200 (with a bigger sub) and I could spend about $50 more on the amp or the bookshelfs so I'm wondering which one I should upgrade and to what. 

Thanks for the info.  The HP does not have a digital out like Toslink so you will have to use analog out or USB.  Most entry level USB devices are about $100 and because you are using mp3s, I would stick with analog out for now.  That would mean a stereo mini to go into the headphone jack on the computer with two RCA plugs on the other end for the amp.  As for upgrading files to flac, I think you mean replacing the files with new rips from CDs, right?  You can't improve the quality of an mp3 by any means even converting to flac.  The speakers that are recommended will play pretty loud and can be tweaked in the future for more refinement.

As for your extra $50.  Save it for a dac when and if the time comes and you have higher resolution files like lossless rips from cds.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
How do you control volume when it's going through the sub to the amp? You couldn't use the volume controls on the amp then right? The amp has ports to have the lines from the amp go through it then to the speakers. Wouldn't that be easier?

sure you could control the volume from the amp.  You run speaker wires to the sub first then daisy chain to the left & right speaker.  

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #35 of 40
So... I'm still deciding between the Swan M50Ws or the Daytona Setup (Yes I'm very indecisive T_T, I want the best for my money haha).

So basically... 

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=167

or

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-633

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383.

This is the last time I'll be asking and I will purchase from the answers I get. Thank a lot head-fi! ^^

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #36 of 40
I used to own Swan M200mk2 and they were not that hot especially for the price, typical lean sound you get from a mediocre powered speaker in this price range.  Considering what they cost vs the 50s and sub, I would think twice, although I have not heard the 50s.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #37 of 40
i would  buy a different sub, most around $100 on amazon are as good if not better that way you can save more or buy better stuff. It always better to buy more than you need when it comes to this stuff or else upgraditis hits you like a ton of bricks in a week.

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
i would  buy a different sub, most around $100 on amazon are as good if not better that way you can save more or buy better stuff. It always better to buy more than you need when it comes to this stuff or else upgraditis hits you like a ton of bricks in a week.

This sub gets a lot of reviews so what other sub are you thinking?

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #39 of 40
Ive tried the polk psw10 and some BIC americas in this price range. The polk isnt the best Ive ever heard but for the money its good. As for the BIC I really like them but looks like their cheaper stuff has gone up in price unless you want to spend $183 on one. I like their F12 better than some subs I heard up to about $475 range from pinnacle, velodyne, and klipsch.

Quote:
This sub gets a lot of reviews so what other sub are you thinking?

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #40 of 40
The Dayton Sub I still believe would be better choice.  It's price is reasonable, and it sounds/feels great!

Oh and if you still have questions about the setup, I think I got it down now (hopefully better than before).  The Dayton Sub you listed has speaker inputs and outputs on the right.  On the top it says amp, so you will have wires from the T-Amp go to the sub, and then have the speakers coming out from the sub.  Then the line in RCA on the amp will you be used to plug in your source (i.e. computer, mp3 player, etc.)

Try this setup (if you go with it) and if you feel the need/want to buy a DAC, and your computer has an optical/coaxial cable out, you can get the FiiO E3 DAC.  Hopefully this all helps! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back