I NEED HELP PURCHASING COMPUTER SPEAKERS!!!
Oct 1, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #16 of 40
Oct 2, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #17 of 40
Can someone link me on how to do a computer setup? I was considering getting the Swan M50W but it seems that everyone's saying a custom speaker set up is better but I don't really know how to set one up so is there like a guide or something that someone can refer me to?

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #19 of 40

Quote:
I just purchased the above setup (minus the sub) and can say that it's a definite improvement over my previous amped speakers (Swan M-10s). I am not an audiophile and could not begin to offer an in-depth analysis but, to my ears, this setup sounds fantastic and was extremely inexpensive.
I did, however, have a question (sorry to hijack thread). Do you think I would benefit from some sort of external USB DAC or soundcard (currently have onboard)?

I would definitely get a USB DAC. The Nuforce uDAC2 is my current budget favorite (I paid $129) and has RCA line-out which should work great with the Lepai.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #20 of 40

Instead of the mobilephone as the source u use a 3.5mm/RCA from onboard mobo sound/sound card/DAC to amp 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Can someone link me on how to do a computer setup? I was considering getting the Swan M50W but it seems that everyone's saying a custom speaker set up is better but I don't really know how to set one up so is there like a guide or something that someone can refer me to?

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #24 of 40
Here's two recommendations:

Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

Now of course you will need to get some RCA and speaker cables.  I listed the Belkin cables on the last page, those will definitely do.  You can always upgrade your speakers later on down the road if you must, and also purchase a DAC down the line as well.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #27 of 40
Oh God, did you guys not read my $250 limit? T_T

I would love to get these but my budget won't cut it, I'll go up to $300 max but still...

Also, how important is the amplifier? The Lepai one you linked to earlier seemed good for $30 cause it has Treble and Bass controls but the Daytona is $100 with only a volume knob. I'm a noob so I don't really know the differences but how important is it? Is it better to get the cheaper amp and better bookshelf speakers?

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #29 of 40
Dac and amp's are solid state eletronics, theres very little difference between the cheaper and more expensive 1's, go cheap on the dac, spend a bit more on the amp and the most on the speakers, if you buy cheap speakers now your most probley want to upgrade them in few weeks.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #30 of 40
Here is link on getting started in computer audio:  http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/Connect/Digital_connect.htm.  You might want to read the entire list of topics.

As for speakers which is what you originally asked.  If I were you, I would get the Dayton setup that Destroysall mentioned.  I used to own the Swan M200s and was not that impressed.  There are a lot better passive speakers with amps in  the lower price ranges than active.

A few other things you should consider:  What is the brand of laptop, how are you going to get the signal out, analog or digital?, what is your player, what type files do you play, are you going to get a dac down the road, how much do you have budgeted for that?  How loud?  Where are the speakers going to be placed, how far away are you going to be from speakers when listening, how big is the room, etc.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back