I need help hooking up my amp to my sources
May 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
I am just starting to get into this hobby.  Right now I am using my Thinkpad T500 as my source along with my Desktop's integrated sound on the MOBO.  I just bought a HD650 and a SS amp.  I want to connect my amp to these sources and I was told I need a 3.5mm to RCA cable.  Is this the best way to connect to my source giving me the cleanest signal?  If this is the cable to get, what cable do you reccomend?  I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I want something that gives me a good clean connection.  Since I am so new to this, my whole system is in flux.  I will be buying and selling various pieces of gear till I find what I am looking for.  Eventually I see myself getting a nice dedicated source unit from Yamaha, Marantz etc.  Thanks!

May 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I want to connect my amp to these sources and I was told I need a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

That is probably the only way you will be able to hook it up until you get some type of dac. I would suggest picking up a dac, maybe a usb dac to make thing easy. it doesnt need to be expensive to probably get some improvement over the 3.5 to rca hook up.

May 10, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 4
yeah I would get a DAC.  The Dac really does make a large difference and is very obvious even to people without audiophile ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back