I need help from windows 98/se users...
Feb 26, 2002 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Will someone please e-mail me the file;
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ShellEx.exe

It is virus infected and I cannot repair it so i need to replace it.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Its not XP.. I checked
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the info Audio - so this means i can just delete it ...

- turns out i can't! The person just won't be deleted! Is it safe to go in dos-mode and delete it manually or is through Norton the only way?

*Grrrr*

mad.gif

Feb 26, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Right click on the file, and click on properties. Make sure that "Ready Only" box is UNCHECKED. Go into Windows Explorer, and view your C: Drive. If that file is infected with a trojan, look to find the file linked in your autoexec.bat (C: Drive), win.ini (c:\windows), system.ini (c:\windows), startup folder(c:\windows\start menu\programs\startup), and system startup - can all be edited by opening up msconfig. If it shows up in any of those, remove it, and save.

Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard, and close all programs except for explorer.
Next. Open up notepad, copy and paste this:
Mystring = (80000000)
then click on save as, save as type "all files" and name it memory.vbs, save it anywhere you want. Double click on it, this will clear your memory.

Reboot. Then try to delete the file, if that fails, boot into real mode dos and delete it from there. After you dispose of this nasty, search in your registry (start-run-regedit) for the file to pop up, remove it.
smily_headphones1.gif
You should be all set after that. However, I suggest you do a deep scan for viruses after just to double check it hadn't already spread. Cause you never know, a damn worm can still live when chopped up.

Feb 26, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks Audio!

The file showed up in msconfig >> start ...
It's deleted now.

I'm going to bed now - norton can take care of it self =)

Feb 27, 2002 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 9
HAH!

Yeah mumrik, it actually felt really good to delete the sucker - although it's just a file! Felt like I won the fight against a vicious creature
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back