I need help for my Sony R-10's
Aug 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

msjjr

100+ Head-Fier
Alex from Puresound currently has my pair of R-10 for re-cable, but it has turned into a nightmare scenario. He has discovered that one of my drivers is shot as a result of excess humidity and a bad repair job. I bought these some years ago, but clearly the person who sold them to me lied about their history. As it stands, I'm looking for a pair of R-10 drivers, though it is unlikely I`ll be able to find a pair. Can anyone tell me how close the CD3000 drivers are to the R-10 drivers. I understand there were 2 different drivers used in the R-10`s anyway, so the sonic signature varied. I`m most interested in the types of magnets and bio-cellulose used in the construction. If anyone has a pair of R-10 drivers to sell , I`d be willing to trade one of my kids for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the help in advance.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 22
Sorry to hear about this! What is it with R10s these days? While they CD3000 and the R10 use the 50mm bio cellulose drivers, I believe the CD3000 and the R10 have different ohm impedance, with the R10s at 40ohms and the CD3000 is 32. I am sorry to report that they transducers are very hard to find.

Again sorry to hear about this.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 8, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alex from Puresound currently has my pair of R-10 for re-cable, but it has turned into a nightmare scenario. He has discovered that one of my drivers is shot as a result of excess humidity and a bad repair job. I bought these some years ago, but clearly the person who sold them to me lied about their history. As it stands, I'm looking for a pair of R-10 drivers, though it is unlikely I`ll be able to find a pair. Can anyone tell me how close the CD3000 drivers are to the R-10 drivers. I understand there were 2 different drivers used in the R-10`s anyway, so the sonic signature varied. I`m most interested in the types of magnets and bio-cellulose used in the construction. If anyone has a pair of R-10 drivers to sell , I`d be willing to trade one of my kids for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sorry to hear that buddy. Unfortunately, Sony discontinued the driver about 6 months ago. Three months ago I contacted both Sony and Audiocubes and they no longer have them. The CD3000 drivers are not bad but they are alot less powerful than those of the R10s. Good luck on tracking down a replacement drivers man.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 22
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but is this a function of just the magnet strength/composition and can a magnet be replaced?

Thanks everyone.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 22
Really sorry to hear!
frown.gif

Hopefully you find a pair of replacement drivers, or a way to fix the current one.

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 22
Oh #@$% bro...

I have no idea how close a CD3000's driver is to the R10s but it ain't gonna be easy even to find one of them either.

Best bet is to soothe yourself is to buy another pair of R10 (
eek.gif
) that actually works.

I swear to God, please don't mess around with aftermarket rewirings or refittings with non-R10 specced drivers. I have no idea how it will go but if you want them fixed I'd say you send it back to an 'authorized Sony Dealer' and let them take care of it. If you want to risk it with aftermarket know-hows with something that actually is [perhaps sentimentally] worth something to you, do it at your own risk.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 22
Thanks everyone. The reality is that, with the drivers being pretty much shot, this will no longer be an R-10, so messing around with it is not an anxiety for me. If I can't use them to listen to music, they might as well be a paper weight. As to buying another pair, if I could get one, I, frankly, am not sure they are worth $6-7 K to replace. They were much less expensive when I originally purchased them, so the financial hit is not as great.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 22
Sony no longer warranties the R10 at all. That is why so many pairs end up being mailed to APureSound for repair. Even when Sony did warranty the R10's they would replace broken parts not repair them. When something no longer exists replacing it is no longer an option.

I personally have a few contacts in Sony Japan quite high up and got confirmation that there are no more parts left available for the Sony R10 headphone and that the only way to find anything is look for distributors through out the world that sell replacement parts to repair shops. I have a list of them and none of them had anything left either. There was only 1 place about a year ago where I purchased replacement ear pads from them and everything else was sold.

When there is no other choice you may as well do something with the headphones instead of just letting them lay there without purpose. I will agree with msjjr that the Sony R10 headphone is not worth the 5-7k they are getting used recently. This is coming from someone who has owned multiple pairs of them and just my opinion. I do feel they are an amazing headphone and one of the best out there (even though there are 2 versions), but still not worth the price.

The CD3000 drivers have overall very similar specs and materials used. With proper research you can get very close to the R10 sound since you already have the entire R10 housing.

The R10's we are talking about right now have been previously repaired and very poorly which caused this problem to begin with which the buyer (msjjr) was not informed of.

This R10 repair will be the most complicated one that we have done so far due to the damaged caused by the previous repair alone. If unrepairable the CD3000 drivers will be used unless we come across a pair of R10 drivers which can be used.

Thanks,
Alex

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 22
You could always wait until someone else has a broken pair up for sale and then use the drivers from them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayinhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always wait until someone else has a broken pair up for sale and then use the drivers from them.
smily_headphones1.gif

chances are that they will only sell if the drivers are broken, because everything else would be easily replaced (except maybe wood cups).

Also, you might want to try some denon drivers. just a thought, no idea if it is a good idea, or i am just being an idiot.
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 22
I have received an offer to purchase my shell from someone who has an extra set of drivers that he will not let go; can't blame the person of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back