I need help for my first audio setup (for PS4 pro and PC).
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yaylittlepony

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, this is my first thread on head-fi and, like the title says, I need help for choosing what I'll need for my first audio setup that I'll use for both PS4 pro and PC (in the future). That will be mainly used for gaming of course and for listening to music (spotify premium and .flac files).

I live in Europe (France) and my budget is 700 euros for a dac and an amp (850 $), I can increase the budget a bit if worth it. After reading Mad lust envy's guide, I set my eyes on the Fidelio x2 since it has good emphasis on treble and bass and is also good for music.

For the dac/amp combo, I have in mind the Schiit combo magni 3/modi multibit since they are pretty good and relatively cheap. That's where i need help because i don't know if it's the best choice.

I also want to know if i'm right on the connections : PS4 optical output to modi optical input / modi RCA to magni RCA in / headphones plugged into magni jack.

Thanks to the people who will give their opinions on my choices. I'm also open to better suggestions since I'm a beginner:)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 10
The Modi (& Magni) connected to the PS4's optical port, will only give you stereo audio, no headphone surround sound, are you ok with that?
(But the Modi/Magni will still sound very nice)

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 10
The Modi (& Magni) connected to the PS4's optical port, will only give you stereo audio, no headphone surround sound, are you ok with that?
(But the Modi/Magni will still sound very nice)
I should have told that in the OP but I'm perfectly fine with stereo sound (that's what I wanted in the first place). I read that surround gaming headphones are worse than good stereo headphones so that's why I chose the fidelio :)

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 10
I should have told that in the OP but I'm perfectly fine with stereo sound (that's what I wanted in the first place). I read that surround gaming headphones are worse than good stereo headphones so that's why I chose the fidelio :)
A lot of those gaming headsets (gaming headphones) are stereo headphones that just come with a separate surround sound processing device.
I'm sure those Fidelio X2s sound nice.

The Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp is what use and like.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 10
A lot of those gaming headsets (gaming headphones) are stereo headphones that just come with a separate surround sound processing device.
I'm sure those Fidelio X2s sound nice.

The Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp is what use and like.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
Well since I want to listen to music, i thought hi-fi headphones were a good choice. And thank you for your suggestion for the dac/amp, there are reviews on head-fi, aren't there ?

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Well since I want to listen to music, i thought hi-fi headphones were a good choice. And thank you for your suggestion for the dac/amp, there are reviews on head-fi, aren't there ?
Somewhere on Head-Fi there are threads and posts for the Audio-GD.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 10
If you use chat on PS4 and PC you may want to pick up a Creative G5. One single USB cable for power, audio and chat. And it sounds pretty good with music.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 10

Those aren't your only choices. You can use the Creative G5 so you can get surround simulation on hifi headphones that it can drive. Alternately, you can use the G5's coax digital output to a DAC and headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back