I need help decided what IEM to upgrade to
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TechMechanik

Formerly known as Faustous
I am struggling trying to figure out what the best IEM would be an upgrade for me.

I listen to a wide range of music but primarily:
  • post-rock
  • progressive rock
  • electronic
  • jazz
Here is what I currently have and like about them:
  • CA Andromeda 2019
    • Like - soundstage
    • Like - instrument placement
    • Dislike - bass. There isn't quite enough.
    • Dislike - Very sensitive, I have plugged them in and forgot that... not a good feeling.
  • DUNU SA6
    • Like - vocals
    • Like - sounds like the Andromeda a bit
    • Dislike - sounds like the Andromeda a bit (I wanted an upgrade when I bought this, I guess I misunderstood)
  • Truthear + Crinicle Zero RED
    • Like - the price, like... seriously? This is chi-fi now??
    • Like - soundstage. It's Andromeda, but it's nice
    • Even - mid-centric vocals
    • Dislike - Compared to Andromeda and SA6, something is missing, not sure exactly how to put it.
  • Audeze Maxwell
    • Like - Bass
    • Like - Planar sound
I used to own a set of Audeze LCD 2 classics. Those were my absolute favorite.
I have also owned A LOT of other headphones: Momentum 1, 2, and 3; Vmoda M100; Focal Bathys; Sony XM3, XM4, and XM5; Ety ER2XR. And countless others.
I have a set of LETSHUOER S12 Pro's on the way as well.

My audio sources are: Sony WM1A, THX ONYX, and Qudelix 5k. All using either Tidal or flac/DSD.

I am wanting to find a set that I can use every day that will be my TOTL. I don't know if that is the Xenns Top/Up, MEST, Monarch, or whatever.

Sorry for the short story, but I really appreciate any help I can get.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 7
The Truthear Zero Red has a thinner vocal presentation than the blue ones. Ive had both and the blue ones for music, and red for gaming with it's lower bass distortion for explosion heavy games.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 7
If you're willing to EQ down the bass to suit (except when you want to really have fun) think about the Empire Ears Bravado Mk2. The AAW x TCA Project 4+2 would be my second choice, since you can use the included filters to run it flatter, more bass heavy, or vocal focused without EQ.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 7
If you're willing to EQ down the bass to suit (except when you want to really have fun) think about the Empire Ears Bravado Mk2. The AAW x TCA Project 4+2 would be my second choice, since you can use the included filters to run it flatter, more bass heavy, or vocal focused without EQ.
That is the first time I have heard the EE Bravado mentioned. Specs read really nice.

I took a stab and order a set of DUNU SA6 Mk2. I always seem to have the the versions behind what people say is great.
Andromeda 2019 -- 2020 is the "best" version
SA6 -- Ultra is the "best" version.

I am going to be selling a bunch off here soon. I will definitely have a serious think on the EE's

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 7
That is the first time I have heard the EE Bravado mentioned. Specs read really nice.

I took a stab and order a set of DUNU SA6 Mk2. I always seem to have the the versions behind what people say is great.
Andromeda 2019 -- 2020 is the "best" version
SA6 -- Ultra is the "best" version.

I am going to be selling a bunch off here soon. I will definitely have a serious think on the EE's
The bass is far and away better than any other IEM I've heard, but it's too darkly tuned out of the box for most things, which I think runs a lot of people off. Easy enough to tone it down though, at which point the BA and EST drivers can really shine. Really makes me want to hear Odin and Legend Evo one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back