I need help choosing an IEM
Aug 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FABZ

New Head-Fier
EDIT:-

Quote:
Alright guys. I bought Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones from Amazon.com for $100!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XP8DJC/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. You've been a great help!

OP:-
Hi everyone!

I just read  ljokerl legendary thread in this forum. I narrowed my choices based on my preferences. Could you guys please help me choose?

What I want:-
  1. Obviously an IEM with excellent sound quality. Although I listen to a variety of music genres, classical and orchestral music dominates my iPod.
  2. No AMP should be required
  3. An IEM that would live for YEARS without breaking
  4. Excellent isolation. I don't want to hear the treadmill while exercising, or airplane noises during my flights.
  5. Extremely comfortable. Especially during exercise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
The IEMs I chose from that thread and other online suggestions:-
  1. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphones - $170 (original price $400)
I heard amazing things about it except its horrible wire. It is extremely tempting with that price drop, though.
  1. Kozee Infinity X1 Executive - $190
  1. HiFiMan - RE-262 - In-Ear Stereo Headphones - $150
  1. Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones - $100 (Original price $150)
  1. Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone - $150

EDIT: VSonic GR07 MK2 Pro Dynamic Noise Isolation Earphones Earbuds IEM new model with multiple ear tips and Innovic Shell Case - $180
Recommended by tzjin and tinyman392

If there are better IEMs with that price range ($100-$170 $180) that would provide everything I want, then please do suggest one.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 13
I think you are on the right track.

I voted for the Etys.

Great Isolation, and Real Music Reproduction with good insertion.

Whatever your choice enjoy your new phones... Oh, and also do not forget to burn-in anything that you choose.

Cheers, Jim

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 13
For classical I would vote GR07 or the RE262. However, you may need to pair the RE262 with an amplifier. The EPH-100 is not very detailed and is more focused on the lower end, which is not great for classical.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I just read  ljokerl legendary thread in this forum. I narrowed my choices based on my preferences. Could you guys please help me choose?

What I want:-
  1. Obviously an IEM with excellent sound quality. Although I listen to a variety of music genres, classical and orchestral music dominates my iPod.
  2. No AMP should be required
  3. An IEM that would live for YEARS without breaking
  4. Excellent isolation. I don't want to hear the treadmill while exercising, or airplane noises during my flights.
  5. Extremely comfortable. Especially during exercise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
The IEMs I chose from that thread and other online suggestions:-
  1. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphones - $170 (original price $400)
I head amazing things about it except its horrible wire. It is extremely tempting with that price drop, though.
  1. Kozee Infinity X1 Executive - $190
  1. HiFiMan - RE-262 - In-Ear Stereo Headphones - $150
  1. Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones - $100 (Original price $150)
  1. Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone - $150

If there are better IEMs with that price range ($100-$170) that would provide everything I want, then please do suggest one.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

For classical/orchestra, I would actually recommend the Etymotic HF5.  Other runner ups would be the ACS T15 (if you can afford it), Brainwavz B2/DBA-02 (MKII or original), Phonak PFE 1xx (with grey filters), or even something like the MEE 161p.

That said, you need isolation and build quality, so the PFE 1xx and MEE 161p are removed respectively.  Leaves three left over: the HF5, the T15 (warmer HF series phone with softer highs), Brainwavz (Ety + treble and mid-bass/some sub-bass).  Out of the 3, the HF5 and T15s both have similar build qualities.  The Brainwavz should last still though (if taken care of).

Do note that the ACS MSRPs around 230.  IDK how much the price has dropped since I reviewed it.  You might be able to find one in your price range.  If not, Brainwavz and HF5 should both be sufficient.

Those are the ones I've heard.  GR07 and RE262 both sound like a good idea.  If you can find a 272 for the price, they would most likely be a step up from the 262.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions. Based on some of the suggestions above, I have included VSonic GR07 the OP.

Quote:

I voted for the Etys.

Great Isolation, and Real Music Reproduction with good insertion.

How comfortable is it, though? Do I have to buy those pricey ACS custom tips?

Quote:
For classical I would vote GR07 or the RE262. However, you may need to pair the RE262 with an amplifier.

Do I NEED to have an amplifier? If so, would they work well with FiiO E11?

Thanks again everyone.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
How comfortable is it, though? Do have to buy those ACS pricey custom tips?

I have not, nor will I.

I love my Comply Foam tips.

Jim

Edit: No amp needed for the Etymotic HF5.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Based on some of the suggestions above, I have included VSonic GR07 the OP.

How comfortable is it, though? Do have to buy those ACS pricey custom tips?

Do I NEED to have an amplifier? If so, would they work well with FiiO E11?

Thanks again everyone.

Once you adjust to it, it is very comfortable.  I'm using triple flange tips.  You are not forced into ACS custom tips.  They can improve sound though.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 13
if they are your first iems. just go for re0 they are cheap i hear they sound just a good as a $150 iem.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
if they are your first iems. just go for re0 they are cheap i hear they sound just a good as a $150 iem.

RE0s are extremely fragile...  Mine broke within months.  The OP wants his to last YEARS (he caps it for stress, I'll do the same).  It's dice rollin' if he gets the RE0 as there is a chance it will last, but then there is a chance it won't.  

Sonically, they are among my favorites that are available.  My preference leans that way over the HF2s I have for bass and treble.  HF2s have the mids I want though.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Aug 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 13
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Alright guys. I bought Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones from Amazon.com for $100!

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Out of the five listed, for your genres, I would have gone either Etymotic of HiFiMan.  I haven't heard the HiFiMan though, but based on what I read, they would be a good contender.  I feel that you made the right decision for your genres though.  Hope you enjoy your Etymotics.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back