I need help choosing a DAC/head amp for Sennheiser HD598s for PC and PS3 use
Sep 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DrunkenPiper

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a DAC/amp to convert sound from my PC and PS3 to my Sennheiser HD598 headphones. The Audioengine D1 seems to be a good choice but it lacks a 1/4" headphone jack. It has usb for PC and a S/PDIF for PS3. I was also looking at the Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11. Also seems to fit the bill, but is a little high in price. What suggestions do you have for me? It doesn't have to have usb it could have multiple optical S/PDIFs. Thanks.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 7
  I am looking for a DAC/amp to convert sound from my PC and PS3 to my Sennheiser HD598 headphones. The Audioengine D1 seems to be a good choice but it lacks a 1/4" headphone jack. It has usb for PC and a S/PDIF for PS3. I was also looking at the Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11. Also seems to fit the bill, but is a little high in price. What suggestions do you have for me? It doesn't have to have usb it could have multiple optical S/PDIFs. Thanks.

If you use the S/PDIF optical connection on your PC to connect to the Audioengine D1, you can still use the computer's on-board audio.
USB bypasses the computer's on-board sound card.

The D1 connected to the PS3 using the D1's S/PDIF optical will give you basic 2-channel (headphone) audio, not headphone surround sound.

Also this replacement cable for the Sennheiser HD5XX series comes with a 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560215640800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks your your reply. I don't care about using onboard sound. I also don't care about surround sound, my headphones only have two speakers. And I don't want to buy a cable from Guangzhou.

I am looking for DAC / head amp suggestions. It could also have a coaxial in as well. From what I understand would just a good DAC suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back