I Need Help Buying Portable Full Size Headphones
Sep 18, 2009 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HiFiBoi

New Head-Fier
Ok... some/most of you will think I'm slightly crazy, I prefer passionate but anyway. I'm after getting the best walk around portable system I can, budget is high within reason i.e. under $1000. Previously I owned a pair of AKG K701's and a Graham Slee Voyager using an ipod (
rolleyes.gif
) with Lossless files. I realise I won't get the best out of the cans but I can get a hell of a lot and my AKG's sounded amazing if a little underpowered.

On top of this I live in Seoul so they are a replacement for a full scale hifi for the year. I have to buy grado's blind because there are no stockists here, I used to love my 80's though so I'm not too worried

The problem with the AKG's is that I looked completely insane. Eventually peoples laughter drove me to sell them and get some Shure se530's which are a big downgrade in sound quality. Seoul is much more liberal so I'm willing to push my luck again.

My shortlist is:

Beyerdynamic dt880
Grado 325i (might be the best choice)
Grado rs2
Grado rs1 (These are my first choice so far, i've always wanted a pair)
AKG 702 with cable upgrade (They are so cheap, so I'm considering looking an idiot again)
Senn 650's (Probably a bit big)

I'm finding it hard to get pictures of people wearing the rs1's so I can't grasp what I'd look like in the streets. I know I'll look stupid, this I can handle but will they be as extreme as the k701's?

Also, what amp would you recommend for the rs1's would the Voyager cut it or would you suggest something else?

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 8
You sure you want open back cans?

Really now...

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 8
I think that if those are the headphones you're looking at, you'll be getting funny looks no matter what. Better just grin and let your freak flag fly.

I agree with Ra97oR though that you may want to look at getting some closed cans instead - you'll have to turn the volume up much less when you're around people and everyone around you won't have to listen to whatever you have on.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 8
I recommend R10,CD3000 for maximum effect.

Serious, SRH840 sound quite good to me, and you may also look at the ESW10, both do well without uber amp.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Here's a good picture for the RS1's:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/wo...-girls-412542/

I would go for one of the Grado's if you're not planning on an amp immediately, my iPod powers them perfectly.

But I would recommend closed cans just like everyone else. I never got weird looks walking around campus with Grado's on but I'm sure people could hear my music just as easily as I could hear them talking.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 8
Cheers for the reply's. I'm pretty respectful when it comes to confined spaces so I never played my AKG's loud if I was on a bus or subway etc...

I would much rather buy open as I am already suffering from the se530 IEM's. I need them for my flat also as this will probably be where I play them the most. The 530's will be used outdoors for any serious travelling, but I like a stroll every now and again with some big ass headphones.

So if you could have any, which would it be?

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Emooze, I think I'd rather have the girls legs wrapped around my ears rather than the headphones though, lol.

They don't look too bad though, I'm guessing she is quite petite so I think I could pull them off. I'm surrounded by insanely dressed people everyday anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back