I need headphone help!
Sep 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buddie

New Head-Fier
I currently have Skullcandy Aviators and I know they aren't the best headphones out there, and I just want to upgrade and get a good pair of headphones with great sound quality, noise cancellation, comfortability, etc. However, I have no idea what type of headphones or what brand I should get.

I've heard that Beats, Skullcandy, and other brands like that aren't the greatest headphones and are way overpriced.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction, so I can get a good pair of headphones. I'm thinking about getting Bose, Sennheiser, or Audio-Technicia headphones, but i'm not sure what type I should get. My budget is around $100-$200 dollars.

If anyone could help me out then I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 5
First of all Skullcandy Aviators are actually pretty good headphones.

Here is a link on InnerFidelity's site showing a brief synopsis of what many of us think about the Aviator.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/skullcandy-roc-nation-aviator

The measurements are posted here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/skullcandy-roc-nation-aviator-measurements

The biggest issue I found with them was the channel imbalance.  I found that many of the pairs I have tried did not have the same volume levels between Left and Right ears.  They also are not the most durable headphones, but they actually sound pretty good for the price point.

If you are looking for a true upgrade you may want to save up for something a little more exquisite like a Denon AHD-2000 or AKG 550 which both run around $300.

AKG 550
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-550.php

Denon AH-D2000
Rare as Denon is no longer making them.

Answer these questions to help us narrow our suggestions:

1.)  Do you want them for travel?
2.)  Do you need isolation ( sealed )?
3.)  Do they need to be more durable than the Aviators you currently own?
4.)  Will you be using them for a home studio or in a location where the headphones will not move around much?

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I also forgot to mention that my SkullCandy's are broken. One of the main reasons I don't like them is simply because they are uncomfortable and hurt my ears after listening for around 20 minutes or so.

I'm thinking about getting Sennheiser's since I've heard that they are the best. But i'm not sure what kind to get or if their are other brands that are better. As for the questions:

1.)  Do you want them for travel? It doesn't really matter to me. As long as they sound good and are comfortable
2.)  Do you need isolation ( sealed )? I would prefer that, yes
3.)  Do they need to be more durable than the Aviators you currently own? Yes they do
4.)  Will you be using them for a home studio or in a location where the headphones will not move around much? Yes

Btw, I'm thinking about getting these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-TECHNICA-ATH-M50-COILED-HEADPHONES-WITH-FREE-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER-/140839755243?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item20cab41deb

Are they any good?

Also, should I get an amplifier also? My music is on my blackberry so I'm not sure if I'd be getting the best quality out of that

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 5
I purchased some Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones and really like them.  I went with the straight cable because the coiled cable always catching on things.  They sound really good for what they are and their price point ( around $130 ).  I still have mine and use them as a basis of comparison for sub $250 headphones.  You will not need an amp, but keep in mind the ATH-M50 is more neutral than you may be used to and may take a while to understand and like their signature.  They are quite capable of reproducing very deep bass, but they will not over emphasize it.

The link you show seems like a decent enough deal if you trust the source.  The headphones look used with is a reason I would shy away from it.  The pads may be dry or there may be some other issue.  To me the hassle and shipping costs alone cause me to look for a new ATH-M50 for a reputable dealer like Headphone.com.  The combo may be just what you need and they do have a 30 day return policy for damaged goods.

You can rest assured that the ATH-M50 is an excellent headphone.

Here they are on Headphone.com's site:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Also, should I get an amplifier also? My music is on my blackberry so I'm not sure if I'd be getting the best quality out of that

The M50s are very good buy there are many folks here who will disagree with that statement. You can find them fairly often at $109. I would pass on the ebay offer and maybe look at The Sound Professionals or Amazon. In my view, a headphone amplifier is always a good idea because the electronics are most likely better that whatever source you are using. If you search around this forum you'll find lot of recommendations for alternatives to the M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back