I need closed back, detailed, light-weight, wired headphones. 200-500 range.
Dec 11, 2023 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Malthus101

New Head-Fier
Hey

Did a search, found a few recs but need more up to date ideas too, those are quite a few years old now.

I travel and need to keep weight down everywhere I can. Much as I'd love to take some Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pros with me, I have a feeling with all the metal in them, they'll be quite heavy.

So I need something like them but lighter weight!

Oh, and headband comfort is a super must, as that's the reason I'm shelving my existing headphones. (which are actually wireless but so uncomfortable for even relatively short uses)

Wired (replaceable pref)
Closed back
Lightweight
Comfortable for long periods
Well build to take the knocks of travel.
200-500 price range

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Tough segment, most portable headphones are Bluetooth now. I'd say maybe look at Austrian Audio's offerings, but they may be a bit heavy. If you don't mind a small upstart brand the ETA Mini Closed is good. The Sony MDR-1AM2 or Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b are a bit long in the tooth, but still a good options.

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Ha yeah I just got open-backed Austrian Audio Hi-X65 but they are indeed quite heavy. And open-backed.

Hmm... maybe Momentum 4s or Sony XM5s is the way to go and I'll just have to accept it's wireless from now on.

** also, I hate what I'm reading about these wireless headphones automatically connecting to "google assistant" or something! God no!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b.

Light, super-comfortable, replaceable cables, and can be driven by a potato.

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Aeon Closed X perhaps?

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey

Did a search, found a few recs but need more up to date ideas too, those are quite a few years old now.

I travel and need to keep weight down everywhere I can. Much as I'd love to take some Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pros with me, I have a feeling with all the metal in them, they'll be quite heavy.

So I need something like them but lighter weight!

Oh, and headband comfort is a super must, as that's the reason I'm shelving my existing headphones. (which are actually wireless but so uncomfortable for even relatively short uses)

Wired (replaceable pref)
Closed back
Lightweight
Comfortable for long periods
Well build to take the knocks of travel.
200-500 price range

Thanks!
Not sure how well it fits the brief, but my Meze Noirs from Drop are my go to travel option; very easy to drive, great hard shell, comfortable as clouds, and stylish to boot :) Bit of a guilty pleasure for the bass, but for travel and noisy environments I find that very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back