I Need an opinion on a good Portable amplifier
Jul 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Audio 26

Head-Fier
I am looking to get one of my first Portable Headphone Amplifiers. I was looking at the IBasso PB2 but woud like some help. My limit to price is under $400. My headphones are not hard to power but am looking to upgrade them eventually, I am looking now to enrich the sound of the headphones with an amplifier. I will be pairing the amplifier with an Ipod Classic.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 14
I just reviewed the Sony PHA-1 over in the portable amp section and you should check it out.  You can find it for around $350 and has a lot of functions.  I was a bit critical in my review but I do think you will be happy with it.  Much better quality than any FiiOs and way less expensives than Fostex or VentureCraft.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 14
The PHA-1 seems good but I will eventually be pairing it with a DAC. Will it still be a good choice? Also will it be able to drive larger headphones if I upgrade the ones I have?

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
The PHA-1 seems good but I will eventually be pairing it with a DAC. Will it still be a good choice? Also will it be able to drive larger headphones if I upgrade the ones I have?

If you are going to those REALLY high end portable stuff, then look into the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo (CLAS) pair with ALO RxMK3.  However, I strongly suggest you look into VentureCraft Go-DAP TT and their SounDroid Typhoon as they are much newer with loads more advanced functions.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 14
NP, for the long run the SounDroid Typhoon is your best bet, because it 1, has DSD; 2, works with high impedance cans; 3, on discount right now since it is new; 4, optical in and out for all kinds of future hookups.  I really want to get one too, but I already have a DragonFly and a V-MODA VERZA so that will be an overkill.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 14
I just reviewed the Sony PHA-1 over in the portable amp section and you should check it out.  You can find it for around $350 and has a lot of functions.  I was a bit critical in my review but I do think you will be happy with it.  Much better quality than any FiiOs and way less expensives than Fostex or VentureCraft.

I was looking at getting a fiio e07 or e17
What do you find wrong with them?

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 14
My major beef with the PHA-1 is the analog amp, which seems much weaker than the listed spec compare to my V-MODA VERZA.  Otherwise it is a great medium level DAC/AMP if you want to move away from FiiOs and have some easy to drive IEMs or headphones.  For $350 it is a good buy but not for $600.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 14
It's only 42 ohms, should be easy enough.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 14
The key is how's your budget and what are your sources.  If you get something like the CLAS DAC with the ALO amp but cost more, or a good all in one unit that you can reuse the DAC later like the VentureCraft ST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back