I need an amp...
Feb 24, 2005 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
I just received my Sennheiser HD555 (50 ohm version) and I need an amp for it. I have an audigy 2zs and a Harman Kardon AVR330 receiver (which I currently use as the headphone amp).

I was wondering if I could benefit from an amp that is not overly expensive, yet is able to power the headphones well?

Budget... less than 100. I dont see the purpose to having an amp cost more than my cans...
580smile.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I just received my Sennheiser HD555 (50 ohm version) and I need an amp for it. I have an audigy 2zs and a Harman Kardon AVR330 receiver (which I currently use as the headphone amp).

I was wondering if I could benefit from an amp that is not overly expensive, yet is able to power the headphones well?

Budget... less than 100. I dont see the purpose to having an amp cost more than my cans...
580smile.gif

I'm using a cmoy amp to power my 555. There's noticeable difference to my ears between running direct and running off the amp. The music seems to tighten up and bass response seems better. It should be noted, however, that my source stinks (integrated sound).

A cmoy should run you about $40 ~ $60. You can find them on Ebay, or better yet, ask one of the many builders here to build one for you.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 7
If you've got $100 I'd suggest either getting a "portable PIMETA" or having someone build you a MINT (not to be confused with a Cmoy in an altoids-type tin). In my opinion/experience both of these amps easily sound twice as good as a CMoy and will have enough juice to drive more expensive cans when you succumb to the inevitable upgrade syndrome.

There's used portable PIMETA for sale right now for $95, I'd grab that.

Nate

Feb 24, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
There's used portable PIMETA for sale right now for $95, I'd grab that.

I second that, if you can still get it. I have a MisterX Pimeta and it is awesome. The sound is quite a bit better than my A47 (which is better than a cmoy). If you can't get a Pimeta, either try to get a mint or a Super Mini Moy, you will probably be pleased by both.

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V

580smile.gif

Thats give you an excuse to upgrade the headphones again later on
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back