I need an amp NOW!!!!!
May 25, 2004 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
I had finally narrowed my choices down to two amps, Larrocco PPA and Rudistor RP5. I had been lurking casually on this forum for the past year or so, but recently the search had become more intensified as we are expecting a baby. I am sure my wife would be happier that I don't blast the music in the house while she's taking a much needed precious nap, and also not to disturb the baby while he's sleeping.

Although I would prefer a tube amp, hence the Rudistor, a PPA might be more practical, as I expect my listening habbit to change quite a bit after the baby's born.

By the way, it will be hooked up to a Senn HD600 + Cardas/Clou Red Japis.

I haven't decided whether to hook it up to my main system (digital: Mark Levinson #37/Genesis Digital Lens/Sonic Frontier SFD2 MkII; analog: Shelter 901/SME V/Michell Orbe SE/ARC PH3 SE) in the living room or to set it up in the study room with my spare digital front (Sonic Frontier SFT-1/Mark Levinson #36) from the second system that I am packing away.

I had e-mailed both company last week with some questions (i.e. options available on PPAs, voltage configuration for Rudistor since it's coming from Italy) hoping that I would be able to make a decision this week and place an order. From all the postings, I supposed there's a long waiting list for the PPAs. Well, it's been almost a week, and I have not heard from either company. It's just driving me nuts!!!! (I know, patience, patience.) I just wish I could walk into a store, and grab one, so I can look like this
600smile.gif

I know, I could always get the Music Fidelity X-Can 3. It's readily available at the local Audio store. Or the Headroom amps.........

Any other recommendations for under US$1000?
confused.gif

FrankC

May 25, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Give me your email address (Via PM) and I will email you my Rudistor RP5 Review.

The Rudistor is a better amplifier here...no contest...(commenting with maxxed out PPA without Diamond Buffers). But from what I have read in reviews - the differences with the Diamond Buffers may not be enough to bridge the gap.

The RP-5 produces music...effortlessly...with so much ease that it put the Headroom MAX with Stepped Attenuators to shame...and stomped all over the Grace Design 901.

May 25, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
I had finally narrowed my choices down to two amps, Larrocco PPA and Rudistor RP5. I had been lurking casually on this forum for the past year or so, but recently the search had become more intensified as we are expecting a baby. I am sure my wife would be happier that I don't blast the music in the house while she's taking a much needed precious nap, and also not to disturb the baby while he's sleeping.

Although I would prefer a tube amp, hence the Rudistor, a PPA might be more practical, as I expect my listening habbit to change quite a bit after the baby's born.

By the way, it will be hooked up to a Senn HD600 + Cardas/Clou Red Japis.

I haven't decided whether to hook it up to my main system (digital: Mark Levinson #37/Genesis Digital Lens/Sonic Frontier SFD2 MkII; analog: Shelter 901/SME V/Michell Orbe SE/ARC PH3 SE) in the living room or to set it up in the study room with my spare digital front (Sonic Frontier SFT-1/Mark Levinson #36) from the second system that I am packing away.

I know, I could always get the Music Fidelity X-Can 3. It's readily available at the local Audio store. Or the Headroom amps.........

Any other recommendations for under US$1000?
confused.gif

FrankC

You have a very high fidelity setup. I haven't heard the Rudistor, so I don't know whether it would fit the bill. However, given how high grade your components are, you may want to look into the Cary SLP-88 as your headphone amp. It's a tube design using 6sn7 tubes and it sounds terrific. It can be had on Audiogon for around $1000-$1100. I know it's slightly more than what you're looking to spend, but it may be worth your while. You may want to bring your headphones to a local Cary dealer and audition the setup.

May 25, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 10
Having got a chance to hear the two box prototype amp from Singlwpoer and knowing that sacd lover has tunes it and tube rolled it to vewry close to my Singlpower SDS, I would email Mikhail and ask him about one of these. sales@singlepower.com or www.6sn7.com I would also PM sacd lover and talk to him. He has owned many very good amps and had got to compare this amp to alot of them. Plus the tubes are VERY affordable. You could also check out the NY meet impressions thread and hear what has been said about the PPX3 and PPX3/6sn7 amps. Both these are way under your budget and perform way above there cost. You could get one of these and upgrade to the HD650. I've heard the PPX3 and its a winner. Good luck.

May 26, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Bifcake,

Quote:

you may want to look into the Cary SLP-88 as your headphone amp.

I did some research on this preamp last night. Price looks very attractive as several dealers have been trying to get rid of their inventory, something about people didn't like the cosmetic design where tubes are hidden. A brand new one could be had for less than $1,200 from several dealers. ($2,000 retail)

However, I ran across a thread on Audio Asylum mentioning that one of the predecessors of this preamp was not powerful enough to drive the Senn HD600, so I contacted Cary to find out if this is still the case with SLP-88. I received a confirmation this morning from their technical guy that SLP-88 is indeed not suitable for driving Sennheisers. The preamp will clip in higher listening volume driving the Senns. (The guy on Audio Asylum had to turn his volume knob to 2 o'clock position for normal listening, and it had a lot of background noise)

May 26, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi,

I have the 580s and I don't hear any noise generated by the SLP-88. I have the volume at around 12-1 o'clock for normal listening. They could be right in that I really didn't like the way it sounded with the stock cable. However, I think it's great with the Equinox and it's even better (and louder) with the Silver Dragons. I have a feeling that the aftermarket cables lower the resistance enough to get around this problem.

May 26, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the info Bifcake. I will check with my local dealer to see if he has a unit and try it out with my Senns. One of the sellers on Audiogon is about 2 hours drive away, I could also go there as well.

May 26, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
Thanks for the info Bifcake. I will check with my local dealer to see if he has a unit and try it out with my Senns. One of the sellers on Audiogon is about 2 hours drive away, I could also go there as well.

Let me know how it goes. I'd love to hear your impressions.

May 26, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Did you get my email and attachment Gundam?

gsferrari,

Yes! Thank you so very much! I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I am hoping that I will get to it tonight. Still haven't heard back from Mr. Rudi. He must be taking an early summer vacation or something.....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back