I need an amp, but don't know what to look get. Looking for recommendations
Aug 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

squidramen55

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just joined the other day and i was wondering if i could get any recommendations on a portable headphone amp. I really dont know what any good brands are or if there are any amps that would work well for me. I dont really know if it matters but I have Sony MDR-X10's (Sony X headphones) and I listen to a lot of electronic and classic rock. If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 25
welcome to headfi,
if you can buy fiio E17, it is a great amp for both pc and portable use
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:
Hi, I just joined the other day and I was wondering if I could get any recommendations on a portable headphone amp. I really don't know what any good brands are or if there are any amps that would work well for me. I don't really know if it matters but I have Sony MDR-X10's (Sony X headphones) and I listen to a lot of electronic and classic rock. If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

What source(s) are you going to be plugging the 24-Ohm Sony MDR-X10s into?

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 25
I listen to primarily classic rock,metal,dark trance and reggae and I like the ALO Continental,it adds some thump to music(but not too much) 
Also the HiFi M8 is excellent,its the only portable amp Ive heard so far that could power the HD650 and T1 

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 25
He could do like me an grab the iBasso PB2 for use with a 600 Ohm balanced can... LOL [just kidding op] the E12 is a great amp, as is the E17. E17 is a little better for new users as it can power up to 300 ohm cans [well] and that PC usb Dac function is very excellent! 

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 25
E17 is your amp then, it will amp actually... try this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607152/fiio-e7-e9-combo

This is very old school combo here on head fi, but it works with 600 ohm cans. the E07 will do anything up to about 150 ohms

your other option is to grab an E17 will will power portably anything up to 300ohm, since you use monstly your iPod I'd say the e17 would be better due to more power on the go 

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 25
Hi squidramen55

Before you get to many people recommending amps off the top of their heads ..... why exactly do you want one?  What are you expecting to change by adding an amp?

I just checked the specs on your headphones.  The Sony MDR X-10s were designed to be used straight out of an iPod, and as well as having quite low impedance (24 ohms)  - they also have very high sensitivity (106 dB/mW).

Given that the 4th gen Nano should be well under 5 ohm impedance (hopefully 3 or under) - amping them will do absolutely nothing for them - except add bulk and cost.  If you really want an increase in fidelity - sell them and buy better headphones.

FWIW - bravo to PurpleAngel and cel4145 who were at least trying to get some info before deciding whether or not to recommend anything.

Really people - advice should be helpful and well directed.  People are spending real money based on your recommendations.  A little responsibility would help .......

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
E17 is your amp then, it will amp actually... try this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607152/fiio-e7-e9-combo

This is very old school combo here on head fi, but it works with 600 ohm cans. the E07 will do anything up to about 150 ohms

your other option is to grab an E17 will will power portably anything up to 300ohm, since you use monstly your iPod I'd say the e17 would be better due to more power on the go 

This is terrible advice.  If his source is a Nano - then he's paying for a dac he will not be able to use with the Nano.

Also his cans are 24 ohm and very sensitive.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

This is terrible advice.  If his source is a Nano - then he's paying for a dac he will not be able to use with the Nano.

Also his cans are 24 ohm and very sensitive.

Not really, I know most of these guys who run with nano own pc's at home it's how they load thier music. It's a good invest ment for the future. He doesn't need a dac but he will they always end up needing a dac 

not to mention when your sitting at home looking for music, you tend to end up spending a few hours listening to different bands on youtube or what not, so again a Dac makes sense when you read in between the lines a little, 

as far as adding color goes, the e17 adjustable eq can help with that, if he wants more highs lower the bass, more mids drop bass and treble. The e17 is very versitile in it's coloration due to the built in eq 

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 25
So why didn't you ask him that before going straight in with a recommendation?

His current cans don't need amping - an amp will have no effect except make an already very loud and bassy can even louder ......

Why suggest he spend ~ $100 for no gain?

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
So why didn't you ask him that before going straight in with a recommendation?

His current cans don't need amping - an amp will have no effect except make an already very loud and bassy can even louder ......

Why suggest he spend ~ $100 for no gain?

his budget is $150 right, I didn't need to ask him. I browse through a dozen recommendation threads a day, and come across a ton of ppl in his shoes, not to mention I started off with an iPod and a pair of Sony MDR v150s. I know from experince I spent a good bit of time on my computer hunting for new music to put on my iPod, that is assumed about most Music Listens, when your space is limited you will be changing what's on there eventually. Not to mention most of the new members who start on iPod end up needing something for a pc. If he is a school age student there will be times when he might not be able to pull that iPod out, plug's in his Dac and bam great sound every where he goes. If he is like me and in college, the E17 is good for that same reason.  Let's say he's at home and his iPod dies, I don't think you can charge and listen [or can you?] well I used to use those charge times as a time to take off what ever music I didn't like. 

Just assuming he falls into any of these scenarios, the e17 would work. Other wise we can just recommend the E12 and move on,

also he's listening to EDM and Rock, chances are he want's to get more Bass ouf of his head phones, that was what I wanted my first amp to do for me. Give me MORE bass, So the E11 and E12 are also valid recommendations, but assuming there will be times when the iPod will not be his source, the E17 covers his base's 

So op, let's ask you this question. Are there times when your listening to music through a Pc and not your iPod? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back