I need advice: Screwed up my Library, starting over.
Jan 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
When I first joined head-fi my purpose was to get a good headphone rig since I can't listen to speakers that much. I searched on google and this site came up. I then knew I needed a CDP, so I looked around, asked some questions, and found some good options under 300$. I was about to buy one and be happy when I saw the computer audio forum. I got excited about the fact that I could use my computer as a source and not have to get a dedicated CDP, read around, and started setting up my computer.
I downloaded foobar, then I had problems with vista, so I tried Asio 4all. I had some problems with that, but now it's basically fine.
My major problem is I reripped my library from mp3 ( I used to have everything in 128 or 256, the I realized how bad it is and what I was missing out
frown.gif
) using Foobar. Big Mistake. On half o my songs it has a very annoying high pitched beep right before the song starts.

So, Since i'm deleting all of my tracks and basically starting over, I would like to know how I could maximize my listening experience.
Things I would also like to know:
a good ripping program ( possibly free
smily_headphones1.gif
)
a good media player ( or if foobar is fine)
and how to organize my music in a efficient way.

Hope this isn't too much..
Thanks in advance

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I have mine in Flac. I use Easy CD-DA extractor Music Converter All-In-One: Easy CD-DA Extractor
It's not free ($16 std, 32 pro) but it does many formats. I rip everything to Flac and then make recoded copies in 320kbps MP3's for my IPUD. Easy CD Extractor downloads all the file information, tags, album art all at once.

I use and enjoy both Winamp and Foobar, both with Asio. The advantage of Foobar is album art from Flac tags and it handles the replay gain tag.

Everybody has their preference on library organization and you can find posts that make suggestions. I have my files stored in main directory and then a separate folder for each artist. My files are in the artist - album - track - title format.

Some of the other utilities that I use constantly are :

MP3 Splitter,MP3 Joiner,MP3 Cutter,MP3 Split,Merge - EZ SoftMagic

Mp3splitter / joiner lets me take MP3 and hook them together easily

Mp3 tag editor - Tag&Rename

Tag&Rename is a great tagging program.

Good luck and have fun.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Why pay for a good ripping program? dBpowerAmp or EAC are my recommendations for ripping your CDs. dBpowerAmp is quite easy to set up (I use it), but EAC arguably gives you more 'tweakability'. Both are widely renowned.

I organise my music in the following format:
- A-C
-- Aimee Mann
--- Bachelor No.2
---- 01 How Am I Different.mp3
-- Alanis Morissette
--- MTV Unplugged
---- 01 You Learn.mp3
--- The Collection
- D-F
- G-I

etc.

So in an Artist -> Album -> ## Title order, with artists divided over a few folders.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 5
iTunes to rip to ALAC, iTunes to play my tracks, iTunes to organise my tracks. Easy and extremely organised. All on a Mac, however. Wouldn't use it on PC.

With a PC setup, I used to use Easy CD-DA Extractor and Winamp.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallardo88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things I would also like to know:
a good ripping program ( possibly free
smily_headphones1.gif
)
a good media player ( or if foobar is fine)
and how to organize my music in a efficient way.

1 - EAC - free and great

2 - foobar is great

3 - tags
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back