I need advice on a new system
Aug 30, 2004 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
I've got two decisions to make, right now I got two pairs of headphones, the SR80's and a recently inherited pair of K240DF's that I can't drive because I don't have an amp. I think both headphones are good, but I know I could do better. I listen to a broad range of music, and was thinking either a HD595 or SR225's. I've tried the Sr225's and thought they were great, but I've yet to try the 595's. Tell me If it's worth the extra $80 for the 595's. Anyways I don't want to spend much more than $300 on headphones.

Second problem is that I need an amp. I've decided I just want to get a good amp now instead of working my way up. I thought the Gilmore V2 looked pretty good. I've heard that the V2 sounds really good with grados. Unless you guys can think of an amp at or below the v2's price range I think I've got an amp.

Aug 30, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddleglum
I listen to a broad range of music, and was thinking either a HD595 or SR225's. I've tried the Sr225's and thought they were great, but I've yet to try the 595's. Tell me If it's worth the extra $80 for the 595's.

What extra 80 $?
I assume that you are located in the U.S. since this is the only market where the Senns cost more than the Grados, but you can get the Senns directly from the german head-fi sponsor Meier-Audio for 210$ (shipping included).
However, I personally prefer the SR 225s (with flat pads from Todd, makes a huge difference, a must), especially for Rock music.
But don't rely on me since I'm using a bunch of different cans for different situations/genres, maybe the Senns are the better allrounders, I had only a brief auditioning of the Senns.

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
What extra 80 $?
I assume that you are located in the U.S. since this is the only market where the Senns cost more than the Grados

I believe Senns are more expensive in Asia as well.

I'd consider the Senn 580/600 if you're going with a quality headamp like the Gilmore. Both should be under $300 nowadays. The consensus seems to be the 595 is better when driven by subpar headamps, but good headamps can make the 580/600/650 sing.

I've owned the Grado SR60, SR125, and RS-1 in the past. Grado's signature sound is nice and lush, but it isn't for me. I also couldn't wear any of my grados for extended periods of time due to physical fatigue. Of course it's all subjective.

People are raving about the Singlepower amps. The PPX-6SN7 is about the same price as the Gilmore V2, so I'd try to audition the two if you have the chance.

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 7
I know what you mean, the grado's aren't for everyone. I personall can wear them for hours, but I can't imangine the majority of people wearing them that long. The HD580's are only $200 in most places in the U.S., maybe I'll give them a try too. It's just that I'm worried that they sound too "polite" for some of my tastes, which is why I wonder if the SR225's in combination with something like the HD580's, K501's, or the DT880's would be best for me.

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 7
If I were you, I'd heavily consider a tube amp. You'll be able to personalize the sound by simply changing tubes instead of having to buy a whole new amp.

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 7
I think you're right, a tube amp might work better for me. How about one of those singlepower PPX3's. What I wanna know is what's a good place to get more tubes, and is there some sort of guide or review site of tubes better/different than the one that come with the amp?

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 7
There are several sites about tubes but I dont have the addresses so maybe someone else could help out with that.

The ppx3 is highly recommended by many of the head-fiers and so is the mpx3 which is the next step up. They are said to go with high or low impedance cans and sound good. I would one day like to try one out myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back