i need a vacuum cleaner...
Dec 19, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #16 of 22
I'm no vacuum expert but I too has a Dyson Animal (the purple/gray beastie). It sucks fine, but the head is large and it's a heavy lump to swing around. The extensible hose/wand thingy is really awkward due to it's reluctance to expand and I have to use scissors to cut all the hair and thread stuff off the roller brush every time I use it.

Still, no worse than any other big lump of a cleaner and better than many I've had. It certainly picks up a lot of crap and has more attachments than I could ever find a need for.

Oh, did I mention Purple
eek.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 22
thanks for the information and tips, guys. i've decided to go for a canister vac since my parents have more hardwood/tile than they do carpet...a powered brush head on the canister vac should be okay for the carpets. i'm leaning toward a panasonic, kenmore, or electrolux...will probably go to the store to look at a few before buying online.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't go bagless. Terrible for allergies.

Also, be sure to get a sealed hepa-filtered vacuum, if allergies are a concern.

yeah, the ones i'm looking at have bags...seems like they're friendlier with the allergies.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 22
I do believe that Nilfisk makes the best vacuum cleaners for home use.

As far as Scandinavian vacuum cleaners such as this go, I would say that they are generally the best when it comes to how well suited they are to cleaning non-carpeted surfaces. This is definitely something to consider when using a vacuum cleaner in a house where there isn't wall-to-wall carpeting in ever room.

The model I have is the Nilfisk King Home, and it is "so quiet that you can have a normal conversation while vacuum cleaning."

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do i dare mention roomba? i have one, and i enjoy it!

i bought my parents one for Christmas and set it up for them in one of their downstairs rooms that doesn't always make it on their vacuuming to-dos...it does a really good job, i must say. it has a scheduler that works well - does its job twice a week at exactly the time that was programmed...very cool piece of machinery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back