I need a replacement Lighbulb (Kenwood tuner) PICTURES!!!
Aug 15, 2007 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

icantusefizz

Head-Fier
Hey, i just got a kenwood KT-313 tuner off ebay and it sounds great to me. Probably not an audiophile item, but i got it for 7 bucks so im not complaining.

The only thing i want to take care of is the lack of working bulbs, the unit is almost 30 years old so they went out years ago. I have some pictures:

Bulb #1
P1010212.jpg

P1010209.jpg

Bulb #2
P1010214.jpg

Here is where the second bulb hooks in.
P1010224.jpg

And just for fun...here is my stack. Top to bottom: kenwood KT-313, Kenwood Graphic Equalizer, Sharp CD player, and last but not least the Kenwood KA-7100
P1010221.jpg

So i was thinking i might be able to hook up a LED bulb to the existing wires, would i have to solder in anything to change the voltage or resistance or wattage...im not a DIYer....

If there is a drop in solution that would be great.

Thanks ya'll

-Fizz

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 8
They are the same type as used in the Technics amps with those big meters. They go very often (i.e. don't last long!).
I replaced them on a friend's amp with a set of white LEDs. You need to add a resistor in line with the LED in order to drop the current to what the LED needs. Otherwise the LED will blow up right away or be too dim. The LED looks nicer and will last forever compared to the bulb.
By the way, those tuners used some sturdy components that will outlast most modern day tuner parts. Sound quality was not bad at all. Just don't touch the dial cord! They are a pain to put back correctly.

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 8
get LEDs that can stand AC. LEDs will go dim with AC after a period of time and LEDs work better for DC. so you might want to add a rectifier there before your LEDs...
months ago i did try replacing those bulbs with LEDs. i dont like the effect. my amp has those huge VU meters. LEDs just dont give the type of light bulbs give. then i continue on usin bulbs...

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by icantusefizz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where can i go to get a small AC/DC converter that i can put into the box?

Where can i go to get LED's?

-Fizz

Radioshack?

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah it is really tough. All metal. But it really pulls in stations well. I was really surprised by it. I figured i would just throw it out if it didnt work well, it was dirt cheap. Anywho. Thanks for the suggestion about audiokarma. I'll go ask them.

-Fizz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back