I Need a Portable DAC/Amp Combo for iPod That's Not an HP-P1 and Not $1K
Apr 13, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #31 of 35
  If you are using an iPod Classic, you may want to consider the JDS Labs C5 amp + LOD (such as Fiio L9).  This will bypass the amp on the iPod.  I don't believe that there is any point to a having a DAC with a Classic as it is not capable of digital output through the LOD.  You may want to get someone else to confirm this, but I am pretty sure it is correct.  I am using iPod Classic 7G 160 Gb > Fiio L9 LOD > C5 > Shure SE535...very sweet indeed, and not a bank breaker.  Also a good size match with the iPod.

Wrong. I'm using the digital output on the Classic going into the Sony PHA 1. Sounds brilliant too.

To clarify, for non-apple devices to extract digital signal from ipods, they need to be authorised by apple (labelled "MFi"), so only a few authorised non-apple products are capable of doing that. These include the PHA-1, Vamp Verza, and M8. 

There are also MFi docks that will take digital signal out of the ipod while docking it for home hi-fi setup - such as this one by Onkyo: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/accessories/ri-dock/nd-s1/index.html

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #32 of 35
Additional products that are MFI to extract from iDevices are Cypher Labs' Solos (3 products) and Theorem, ADL X1, AK10, Venturecraft (a few here), etc

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #33 of 35

To clarify, for non-apple devices to extract digital signal from ipods, they need to be authorised by apple (labelled "MFi"), so only a few authorised non-apple products are capable of doing that. These include the PHA-1, Vamp Verza, and M8. 

There are also MFi docks that will take digital signal out of the ipod while docking it for home hi-fi setup - such as this one by Onkyo: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/accessories/ri-dock/nd-s1/index.html

Correct. But the post that I quoted stated that digital extraction from the Classic was not possible. AFAIK, there  only a few dac/amps compatible in this way with the Classic (eg PHA1/2, Fostex, and a few others). There are quite a few more which are made for ios (which is not the OS of the Classic).

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #34 of 35
  By the way, people here write about "7th gen" ipod - as far as I know there is no such thing - the latest ipod is the iPod Classic from late 2009, they didn't release any new models (not including touch).

It's my understanding that the production run that started in late 2009 is technically an extension of the sixth generation and is sometimes referred to at 6G "revision two", but for marketing purposes it's been called the seventh-generation device. The sixth generation was introduced in 2007, then the 80GB and 160GB models were discontinued in 2008 (the former because of lack of demand and the latter because it still used the thicker, older body style of the previous generation), leaving only the 120GB left. That change is what is referred to as "revision one". The second revision, which is marketed as the seventh-gen device, came in 2009 when Apple fit 160GB of space into the thin sixth-generation body, discontinuing the 120GB version in favor of it a little while later. My iPod is a 160GB model with a thin sixth-gen body, making it a 7G or "revision two" iPod. Its build date is in mid-2011, whereas an early 6G 160GB model would have a 2007 or early 2008 build date.

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #35 of 35
Hi!

I just got an iPod Classic. I was previously using an iPod touch with an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC via the camera adapter (male lightening bolt to female usb) and loved the setup, but needed more storage. I have tried using an adapter (i.e. a 30 pin to lightening bolt adapter) to connect the DAC to the iPod classic, but it has not worked. From looking through this thread it seems that this likely is not possible to do with the Classic...?

If not, will having a portable amp come close to the sound quality I previously had with a portable DAC? I would like to spend $200 max. JDS Labs C5 and Fiio Q1 come to mind. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back