I need a new tube amp. Help me spend $1,300 dollars!
Mar 11, 2008 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently sold my singlepower amp, and I need to replace it. So now, I am selling off two pairs of headphones, and I am looking to get a really great new tube amp for $1,000. I am bit flexible on price, but no more than $1300 shipped.

I will be using it with my JVC DX1000's.

Options so far:

Woo audio 2 - $990 shipped

Woo audio 4 - $1200 shipped

Singlepower Extreme with Dual Filter Power supply: $1049 + ship

Used Singlepower MPX3 SE Maxed : $1100 + ship

Looking for opinions, or other options in this price range.

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 16
Well, you know this already, but I vote for the DV 337. I use it mainly with the DX1000 myself, and the combination is TERRIFIC. Detailed, nuanced, and just gorgeous sounding, without being the least bit syrupy.

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Mar 11, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 16
How about you buy a Mini^3 from me for $950 + $50 shipping, and then I'll buy that DV337
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 16
Somehow brad I don't think that would be a good deal.

Now you could build me a B22, and I would gladly allow you to trade it for my $1,000
tongue.gif

@slwiser I should also mention that I need this thing pretty fast, because I am ampless, and I really need one ASAP.

I am leaning towards either the DV337 or the WA2.

Any comparisons?

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 16
I am now looking at a few different options. The high-end Woo Audio stuff looks nice, as well as the singlepower MPX3 and Extreme.

Basically, which one of these options is going to give me the most use of the volume opt with my DX1000's?

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 16
If you buy an amp for DX1000, I guess that you should look for synergy. I'd suggest the WA2 or Extreme if you're just looking for a good robust amp. However, I haven't had a chance to hear the DX1000 and refrain myself from making any recommendation.

I'm a very strong believer in system synergy.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 16
I think If I get anything from singlepower, it will be the used MPX3. Mostly because it was around 2500 new, and it represents the best value. I am still considering a new Extreme, but it seems like it would be a waste buying a new amp, when I can get a better amp used for the same money.

If I go with the woo amp, would the 2 or 4 (6?) be better choice, and why?

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 16
Just buy the MPX3 SE that is on the for sale forum for $1100. That is tremendous value for the money. I found the SP amplifiers to be extremely transparent and respond extremely well to tuberolling; therefore, you should be able to fine tune the right sound to any set of headphone with the right set of tubes. The MPX SE (6BL7GT/6BX7 as output tubes) is highly recommended b/c its pack both the punch of MPX Slam (5687 as output tubes) and the finese of the stock MPX (6SN7 as output tubes).

Mikhail does take awhile to get the upgrade complete so it is wise to grab this one quickly. It puzzles me as well as why nobody jump on that amp already. IMO, the MPX3 SE is as good as any amp short of Eddie Current Zana Deux for under 2K.

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 16
I have pm'ed the seller (yesterday), but I have not gotten a response yet. I am still waiting on some funds to clear from a return before I can purchase this thing, or any other amp for that matter.

Seeing as a new MPX3 standard edition is over $1200, I think I have made my choice.

Thanks purk!

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have pm'ed the seller (yesterday), but I have not gotten a response yet. I am still waiting on some funds to clear from a return before I can purchase this thing, or any other amp for that matter.

Seeing as a new MPX3 standard edition is over $1200, I think I have made my choice.

Thanks purk!

I hope you going to like it. Don't forget to check out the MPX3 & Supra tuberolling thread. What headphones will you be using with the MPX3 SE? I hope you get that amp and once you do .....let's us know how do you like it.

BTW, you should invest some money into buying tube adapter for the MPX3 SE. These adapters allow countless number of tube to be used with your amplifier. These tubes are much cheaper than the 6SN7GTs.

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #15 of 16
I will be using my DX1000's with the new amp. I will be sure to check out that thread.

Looks like Pfkman is on right now, I hope he got my PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back