I need a new soundcard: Terratec EWX 24/96?
Jan 2, 2004 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

yawg3d

Head-Fier
Hi there,

It's time upgrading my PC source. I'm using onboard sound at the moment, and I think I could improve the sound quite a bit if I used a decent soundcard instead.

What about the Terratec EWX24/96?
I'll only need the Stereo Cinch Out, so no need to get a 6fire. I'll run my home stereo rig out of it, but, more important, also my Ultrasone HFI-650's. I'm not sure whether to plug them directly into the soundcard or into my stereo amp, advice?

Also, are there better options than the EWX24/96? Price shouldn't exceed 80 Euro, I think I can get a EWX24/96 for 80.

At last, does the EWX24/96 work well with games? I know an Audigy is much better for games, but I don't play very often, but since I don't have a great computer system, the soundcard shouldn't cause big performance drops in games.

Thanks
yawg3d

Jan 3, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 16
That is a good deal IMO.

And if you don't need surround sound in games, it should work just fine with games too.

Jan 3, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 16
I have an EWX24/96. I think its a very good soundcard, especially for 80 euro. It compares favourably with any midfi CD player IMO, and it works spot on for games in stereo, I've had no complaints with mine.

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 16
You might want to consider Terratec Aureon Sky (5.1) or Space (7.1) as well. Both are 24/96 and comparable to m-audio revolution sound-quality wise. Surround sound for gaming is supported.
Only weak point: drivers are not as good as m-audio's (yet).

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 16
I'd go for it
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Is there any cable or something I can use to plug my headphones directly into the soundcard? The card only has this Stereo Cinch Out (don't remember the correct name... RCA or something?) .

Jan 4, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by yawg3d
Is there any cable or something I can use to plug my headphones directly into the soundcard? The card only has this Stereo Cinch Out (don't remember the correct name... RCA or something?) .

I would really, strongly recommend amping a better card like the Terratec EWX.

With something like a SB Live it sounds so crappy it probably doesn't make much difference, but with the Terratec, M-Audio Audiophile, etc. you really want to amp cards like that -- the same way you'd want to amp a standalone CD player with RCA analog outs, rather than plug headphones directly in with an adapter.

The analog outputs of the better cards are line level (or professional level, even lower) and not intended for driving headphones, unless there's a headphone jack specifically designed onto the card. Even then, you can usually get better SQ with a decent separate headphone amp.

Jan 4, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 16
even with Live, the amp makes huge difference, especially with some cans, mostly those low-impedance, current-hungry..

proffesional outputs when unbalanced has significantly higher output level and can drive my HD580 very loud in fact.. at least on my ESI WT192X.. note that opamp circuits on soundcards are about the same as for example CMoy, just there is 47R or 100R resistor on the output, which make them almost unusable for low impendance phones..

Jan 4, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't have the money for an amp
frown.gif
This Corda HA-1 looks so tempting... and I just found out that Jan Meier lives like next door to me, only 30 kilometers, but well, no, I simply can't afford an amp.... well well... perhaps I'll get a 6fire 24/96 Soundsytem, this one has a headphone out. I just hope I'll find one cheap on ebay.

Jan 4, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 16
better get EWX24/96 rather than 6fire, becouse those cost far more than EWX and you said you don't need multichannel.. for the money you save you can afford some basic amp..

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
better get EWX24/96 rather than 6fire, becouse those cost far more than EWX and you said you don't need multichannel.. for the money you save you can afford some basic amp..

is that the only difference between the two cards? is the SQ identical?

Jan 5, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 16
Buy EWX or 6-fire LT,the one with the breakout box is a waste of money.The headphones jack on it is probably not even as good as the amp you can buy with the cost difference.Not to mention that you'll need a decent amp to make it sound its best,for around $200 or more.The LT version should be as good as EWX and has 5.1 output instead of stereo.Can be had for 100 bucks here:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TERDMX6FLT

Jan 5, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 16
The Aureon 5.1 Sky is really a great deal. Cheap, extremely good sound quality, you can even game with them!

What's not to like about them?
I never had driver problems
wink.gif

-Taurui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back