I NEED A NEW PLAYER!! Samsung P2? Cowon D2? Something else?
Aug 26, 2008 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DeadlySpoon

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi,

Long time no see.

Due to a series of misfortunes, I now need a new portable setup. My vibes broke (again) last week and I've now decided to go with the Westone UM1's to replace them, but I also inadvertently stepped on my iPod nano and I now need a new player for on-the-go musical goodness.

So, let's cut to the chase: what should I get that would match up well with these 'phones? I'm considering those refurb Samsung P2's that big-fi has up for sale here, but the Cowon D2 is also tempting. Of course, I'm open to suggestions. Price-wise, I'd like to keep it under 200, and I'm pretty sure I'll be running whatever I end up getting unamped.

If it helps, I listen to metal, jazz, big band, classical, classic rock and Radiohead (I never know how to classify them).

Thanks in advance!

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 18
I saw that, and I definitely want it, but it's probably not coming for a long, long while, and I can't go that long without music. It's really sexy though.

But what's good now?

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2 should go down in price soon, so might be worth picking up a bargain.

+1 - but I'd wait for the S9 me'self!!!

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 18
Id go the sony route,the players are great sounding,well built and priced well too.I have the E015, S706 and S618f and countless others down the years and i have always been incredibly pleased with them all.
Sony are really the only brand of players that i personally would always buy.
Another feature which i think sets the sony's apart from the rest is the dynamic normaliser which keeps all your music at roughly the same level,that coupled with the tremendous sound and great battery life makes them the perfect players.
Well unless you hear the Rh1 hi-md,but as dap's go imo they are the best.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 18
I haven't tried the P2 so I cannot comment, but I second almost everyone's opinion here that the D2 is a fantastic player. The interface is not without its flaws but the SQ is truly excellent.

That being said if you are not in a hurry I would wait for the new Cowon players...

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 18
I am in a hurry. This past musicless week's been driving me nuts!

That Sansa Clip tideover sounds like a good idea, though. Isn't there some sort of event happening Friday that should tell me more about what's coming for portable players?

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 18
IFA on the 29th. That's why some of us say to wait. Sony, hopefully, will announce a few new gems also!!! In the meantime you SHOULD get a clip - ya' can't go wrong w/that!

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IFA on the 29th. That's why some of us say to wait. Sony, hopefully, will announce a few new gems also!!! In the meantime you SHOULD get a clip - ya' can't go wrong w/that!

Sounds like that should be your POA dude
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadlySpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in a hurry. This past musicless week's been driving me nuts!

That Sansa Clip tideover sounds like a good idea, though. Isn't there some sort of event happening Friday that should tell me more about what's coming for portable players?

By a D2, it's a great player. No need to waiting, these new announced machine should have at least two or three months to be available.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnlifeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By a D2, it's a great player. No need to waiting, these new announced machine should have at least two or three months to be available.

I'd second that. And maybe the price of the D2 will fall a bit when the new players are ready to ship. Dealers will want to clear their stock.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I'm doing. Or I can sell the OP my P2 for cheap cheap cheap.

PM me about that.

But I'm heavily leaning towards the Clip... I think I'll end up getting the 4gb one, with all the buzz about that little player it seems too good to pass up. Plus, it'll work as a gym/workout/sports/whatever player when I get something better!

How much would/should a 4gb Clip set me back? Also, would the Westone UM1's pair up well with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back