I need a new headset.
Jan 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sargeras N7

New Head-Fier
Before i start let me say that i know there are other headset threads already created, but i feel i can get my message out easier by creating my own thread. I have owned a Turtle Beach Earforce X12 for the past year and a half ( yes i know it's a gaming headset ) i was pretty impressed with the sound quality, but sadly the wire has worn out on the headset and i'm looking to get a new headset needless to say i felt 60$ wasn't worth it for a year and half, even though the sound quality was very good, for the time that it lasted, i was wondering if there are any headsets out there that have the sound quality of an X12 but will last me a long while, i'm not looking to spend a LOT of money as i'm only going to be using these headphones for YouTube/Music and some casual gaming, if anyone could point me in the direction of a headset with SOLID build quality and SOLID sound quality (i would really prefer deep bass and sound adjustment options like the x12) for around the 50$ price range, since i'm not going to be using them for anything major, feedback is very appreciated.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 24
Hmm.From what I hear:
Sennheiser PC 360
Skullcandy SLYR
That is if you need an actual headset.If you need sound adjustment use something like a mixamp. You could alternatively get a mic and a good set of headphones.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 24
You're better off getting separate headphones and microphone since most headsets have so-so sound quality and the ones that don't can be pretty expensive (Beyerdynamic MMX 300 or Sennheiser PC 360 for example).

I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 235 and a Zalman Zm-mic1 clip-on microphone:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00198BY48

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029MTMQ

If you were impressed by the sound quality of the Turtle Beach this setup will probably blow you away. The DT 235 are the best sounding budget headphones I've heard.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 24
Creative Aurvana Live with a Zalman Clip-on Mic.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 24
Jan 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 24
So what should i get, the Creative Aurvana Live or the Beyerdynamic DT 235? i can't decide, as they are both really nice and do i have to get an amp for either one if i want to adjust bass/sound etc? like i said in your guy's experience which has better sound quality/build quality? also i have a laptop btw and i'm not too tech savy so i really don't know how to use a mixamp.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 24
Most important question: Do you need isolated headphones or are open ones ok? Are you alone in the room? Or in a room full of people? Background noises? On a train/bus/plane?

Are set on that price point or would you possibly like to invest in something around 150 or under 200 bucks that will seriously give you a jump in performance and will last MUCH longer?

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
Most important question: Do you need isolated headphones or are open ones ok? Are you alone in the room? Or in a room full of people? Background noises? On a train/bus/plane?

Are set on that price point or would you possibly like to invest in something around 150 or under 200 bucks that will seriously give you a jump in performance and will last MUCH longer?

I'm usually in a room with 1-2 people, as i live with my family. So probably isolated but it isn't a huge deal, also the price is not a problem with me, i could go buy 300$ headphones but i'm only using these for music/YouTube and maybe some casual gaming so i'm more comfortable with under 100$

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

I'm usually in a room with 1-2 people, as i live with my family. So probably isolated but it isn't a huge deal, also the price is not a problem with me, i could go buy 300$ headphones but i'm only using these for music/YouTube and maybe some casual gaming so i'm more comfortable with under 100$

Since you aren't looking for a headset per se: You can have In ear, on ear or over ear headphones. :)

Well, if you can, go try out the Beyerdynamic DT770 (pro or edition). Read up on them here on this forum. They are a bit more expensive than your budget, but could possibly fit your needs perfectly. You know the saying: "Spending more now will save you in the long run." You will have something that will last you. You can always buy replacement parts. You will have a nice, solid base if you ever decide to get more into music. Make sure you get the 32 Ohm version, unless you want to jump into this hobby. Some light browsing will get you started.

Something I can also reccomend you read is this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12 (For information purposes!)

You can also get them customized with colors which I think is pretty cool.

:)

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 24
If no DT770, get the Creative Aurvana Live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back