I need a new budget DVD/CD player any recomendations
Jan 14, 2008 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

c0mfortably_numb

Headphoneus Supremus
For my main system I use a DVD player for both my audio and video needs. Right now I have a dying Onkyo DV SP-302, I never really been to satisfied with it. Audio is pretty good, but Video, during layer breaks it usually pauses and skips ahead a several seconds thus missing crucial scenes in movies
mad.gif
Lately the tray has decided it only wants to eject when it feels like it.

So I been looking around for days for a budget replacement and I can't seem to find anything in my price range getting decent reviews. Also do brands even matter anymore? Everything seems to be a clone of something or another. I still run standard format TV so not really looking for anything to do upscaling...

So far I've looked at
- Refurbished Denon DVD 1720
(one review online states that it suffers from dot crawl and poor audio)
- Sony DVP-NS57P/S & DVP-NS77H/B
- JVC XV-N350B
- Phillips DVP3960

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 11
Budget? Buy used - we live in an age when hardware is becoming increasingly disposable, esp. as so much of it so soon outdates. Toss the Oink-yo and move on.

Laz

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Consider the Oppo DV-981HD. Also, the Oppo DV-980H may have better audio output (cleaner signal path), but it lacks the improved DVD upscaling capabilities of the 981.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 11
no doubt get the Oppo 980... fantastic audio performance for the price, and the video is a true stunner as well. the tiny (and debatable) advantage one might get from the 981's faroudja chip is far outweighed by the 980's superior SQ.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got an oppo 980 and while it is great for the price my 'not much more' marantz cd5001 is much better.

I just bought a 980, and it along with the Marantz were the two finalists in my decision. I had trouble finding a Marantz in my price range, though ($250, maybe $300 max), and the Oppo can act as a great DVD player. I'm also going to be getting an HDTV next year, so the fact that the Oppo can upconvert DVDs and has HDMI really sold me on the unit. Then there's the fact that I got it for $120 from a HeadFier, which prices it less than half the cost of the Marantz.

It's really about how much you're willing to spend.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the Secrets DVD Benchmark Shootout for ideas about new/used players with excellent video quality. Warning: 56k death.

Thanks for the link, I been there a few times in the past, some good info, I just wish they had more reviews on DVD players, especially more current models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really about how much you're willing to spend.

I really wanted to keep it around $50-$80, as much as I would love an Oppo I just can't afford one right now.

I don't know if I should just get the Sony for $59 for now. Or just keep screwing around with the Onkyo until I have more money or it breaks officially (or I take a sledge hammer to it) . I just don't don't know what kind of hit I would be taking in the audio department with a player like that, I know at best it would be a temporary solution.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Looks to be out of your price range and I honestly don't know how well it does audio, but keep an eye on the Toshiba HD-A3. Even though HD-DVD seems to be fighting a losing battle, the A3 does a good job at upconverting standard DVDs and the price is dropping quickly. Might be a decent deal if you can scoop one up on clearance somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back