I need a new amp for Sennheiser HD 700
Sep 16, 2016 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

alexw

New Head-Fier
You're probably not familiar with my current dac and amp, but here is my chain
Henry Audio USB DAC - Argon HA1 - Sennheiser HD700
Henry Audio and Argon are both Norwegian brands.

I recently bought the 700 to replace my 598. It doesn't sound awful, but it seems like something is off. I've identified the problem to be my HA1 after talking to Argon ( HiFi-Klubben).

Buying audio equipment in Norway is not very easy. My current most viable options in terms of availability are:
Rega Ear MK2 (new, $300)
Schiit Magni (new, $150)
Schiit Asgard 2 (new, $370)
Schiit Lyr (used, $370) - either the original or the 2, it has seen little use according to the seller.
Pro-Ject Head Box S (new, $140)
Cayin HA 2 (used, $280)

Are Schiit amps completely reliant on the Modi to sound good?
Buying new means I can easily return everything and go back to my old system with the 598 if I can't make it work. Of course, I could resell the used one.

I want a dark amp, as I've heard that suits the 700 best, which makes sense after hearing it. I'd appreciate some help here.

Edit:

I ended up with a Rega Ear MK2 which I got a good deal on. It really helped this headphone sound good compared to my old Argon. The static noise is nothing short of infernal, though. But I think I can get used to it.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 18
Thank you for that labrat. I don't live in Oslo, but I am able to go there fairly easily. Spending a day demoing amplifiers in Oslo could be a good idea, but it would require some planning since I have to arrange each demo with the shops. There is a Soundgarden shop where I live but they have next to nothing in stock. I swear the only Sennheisers they have there are Momentums. I would honestly prefer taking the risk and ordering something online that is likely to sound good, and return it if it doesn't. As you'll know, consumer rights are quite expansive here in Norway. I will email Lyric hifi about the Creek OBH-21 MK2. Do you happen to know how much that one costs?

One more thing, don't you think the used Schiit amp seems like a good deal? It's basically 50% off compared to a new one. I am able to go pick it up, it's no further away than Oslo.

Thank you again for the replies

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 18
Interesting. I'm feeling drawn towards that Creek amp, hopefully it doesn't blow my budget. Your post was quite eye opening for me, I wasn't aware of most of these shops.
I thought I would have to make an arrangement with Lyric hifi due to misreading their website.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 18
possible proposals of amplifiers:

Woo Audio WA3 (599 USD) or USed
Schiit Valhalla 2 (349 USD) or Used
Audinst HUD-mx2
Schiit Magni 2
Little Dot MK2
Bottlehead Crack OTL
Little Dot MK III

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Thank you marek17. The Magni remains an option.
I will visit Lyric asap if they have the Creek amp depending on the price. I couldn't find anything particularly interesting at the other shops besides the Schiit options at Stereofil, I think it was.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 18
@labrat Have you ever heard of the "Atrox V2"? Do you know anything at all about it? I can barely find mentions of it online. It's on Finn for 2000 NOK. It's mentioned here, the sound signature sounds like what I'm looking for according to this one person.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 18
I'm really wanting the Creek at this point. Hopefully Lyric hifi answer my e-mail despite the recent tragedy they suffered.
Edit: Lyric hifi's sole manager recently died, so I don't think I will be able to buy anything from them.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 18
I ended up with a Rega Ear MK2 which I got a good deal on. It really helped this headphone sound good compared to my old Argon. The static noise is nothing short of infernal, though. But I think I can get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back