I need a headphone doctor... Issue with brand new headphone.
Jan 30, 2008 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
Hello, I just got my Audio Technica M50 (ath-m50) last wednesday and LOVE THEM. However, something very strange happened today, and I don't know if it's my Laptop or if its my headphones... I need an experts advice. Generally, I heard Audio Technica make previous models fairly fragile, but read the newer models are better built... Well I don't know if this has anything to do with build but anyway..

Three Things happened today out of nowhere for now reason.

1. I turn my Laptop on with my headphones plugged in. I start up Itunes, and hit play. The sound came out of my laptop speakers...not my headphones, even though they were plugged in (completely)! So, I unplugged them and plugged them back and it worked.

2. I was just listening to some music using windows media player this time and the sound turned BASSLESS out of nowhere... almost like those "Radio" settings in EQ programs or more specifically, as if the headphone jack was HALF WAY in (try it on yours...take the headphone jack 1/2 out and thats how mine sounded). I fiddled with the headphone jack again and it worked again just fine for a couple hours.

3. I was listening to music again, but on the internet browser this time. Same thing as #2. This time I didn't move...I wanted to find the source of the problem. So I carefully used my free hand to fiddle with the headphones themselves...the problem was still there. Then I fiddled with the cord going to the left headphone, still the same problem. So before I decided to unplug/replug, I just rolled the actual headphone cord (about midway..where its all coiled up) gently (i barely tapped it) with my fingers and it suddenly went back to normal. I don't know if it was coincidence or not...

So, I thought maybe it was the cord... But I have been twisting, fiddling, testing the cord and i hear no cracks or any signs of malfunction.

So, could this be sound card related or should I have these headphones replaced just to be sure? How could I determine this?

thank you for reading.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 13
sometimes when i'm using winamp, it gives me an error message, saying something about an error in the audio driver missing or something. i just restart the computer, and it works fine. you could try plugging in a usb dac to test it out.

or you could just plug your headphones into something else besides your computer.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 13
have you tried with regular earphones or other headphones?
If same thing keeps happening, it's your computer.
I had same problem with my previous computer and I got the soundcard fixed and it started working

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try plugging your headphones into a different source like a CD player and see if they still act funny. If so, then send them back.

Yup, I dunno why you haven't tried them through another source yet.
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 13
I would first try another headphone and see if you get the same result. If so, it would most likely be your soundcard, which i would uninstall and reinstall a stable version.

If another headphone does not have any problems, and non on the above problems occur, I would go ahead and see if the m50 still does it. IF it does, I would see if you can get a replacement cable, or something. Thats what I would do.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 13
i used to use sony mdr v700 with this laptop for 4 months and never had that problem. i dont want to try on another device yet because it only happened for the first time today and happened hours apart. i don't have the time to use another source because i dont have anything i could use for hours straight. i dont have any other audio source than my laptop since im at school.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamgag7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used to use sony mdr v700 with this laptop for 4 months and never had that problem. i dont want to try on another device yet because it only happened for the first time today and happened hours apart. i don't have the time to use another source because i dont have anything i could use for hours straight. i dont have any other audio source than my laptop since im at school.

Try it with your friend's laptop!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 13
by headphone jack do you mean on the headphones or on the laptop?

and i dont really know if its the jack because on the 3rd trial i barely touched the cord about 1/2 down where its coiled and the problem went away instantly. i didnt even touch the headphone jack this time....but then the 1st trial has me thinking otherwise..

and again, im messing the with cord/ headphone jack, bending it every way possible ect.. for the past 10 minutes and not a single problem...

sigh.. i hate this..i was waiting for these headphones for over 2 months. just my luck. and plus i just bombed two midterms..i feel like crap now.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Sounds like a jack problem on your laptop. Do the ATs use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter? Or could the cord/plug be heavier than your V700's? These new headphones might just put a little more torque on the jack to dislodge it.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 13
they use the standard size for laptops and other devices which 1/8" i think. and the plug is actually lighter and smaller than the v700. im listening again to see if it happens. this is so odd..im practically abusing the cord and the jack and there is no problem whatsoever. but when im not even touching it, the problem was then! hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back